Head of Powers
5 days left
- Full Time
As the Head of Powers and Consenting, you will be responsible for the preparation and deposit of parliamentary Bills, and Additional Provisions to those Bills, in strict compliance with the Standing Orders (SOs) of the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The role will also include the provision of guidance and advice on the powers within the Acts granted by parliament to those implementing the scheme.
About the role:
- Liaise with Parliamentary authorities on amendments to Standing Orders and, so far as is possible, ensure the interests of the project are reflected in any changes to these Standing Orders.
- Present evidence under oath to Parliamentary Examiners on compliance with Standing Orders.
- In the event on non-compliance (non-compliance with certain Standing Orders is inevitable) appear before the Standing Order Committees of both Houses to explain non-compliance.
- Prepare specifications setting out how Bill documents are to be prepared to meet the requirements of Standing Orders, and train and instruct consultants in the application of these specifications.
- Prepare a set of assurance procedures against which the compliance of Bill products will be monitored and certified.
- Liaise with DfT legal team, Parliamentary Agents and Counsel at the Office of Parliamentary Counsel at Cabinet Office in the drafting of Bills and Additional provisions to those Bills with the aim of ensuring that the projects’ requirements are properly incorporated in the Bills, and that the powers necessary to deliver the works are included in the Bills.
- Manage the production of Bill documents and their distribution to all locations specified in Standing Orders.
- Brief all new joiners to the project on the purpose and contents of the Bill, and the process necessary to obtain an Act of Parliament.
- Review all proposed changes to the scheme and advise on the implications on Bill powers.
- Verifying that assurance offered to petitioners are within the scope of powers in the Bill.
- Project management skills necessary to coordinate the multiple disciplinary inputs required to create a parliamentary Bill
- Ability to understand and coordinate both engineering and legal inputs to the Bill
- Ability to communicate the engineering requirements to the legal advisors and the legal requirements to the engineering advisors.
- Ability to educate and communicate the complexities of the Bill process to a wider audience
- Intimate knowledge of the processes and procedures required to successfully deposit a Bill in Parliament.
- Intimate knowledge of the Standing Orders of the Houses of Commons and Lords
- Knowledge of both legal drafting and engineering design – Chartered civil engineer status preferred.
- Experience of design and construction of railways
- Experience in preparation and promotion of schemes by means of TWAs, DCOs or Parliamentary Bills.
- Experience in liaising with, and instructing, legal Counsel.
- Experience in presenting and explaining complex issues to large audiences.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
Closing date: 22 October 2017.