Head of Projects - Structural Steel
Our client is a leading UK Structural Steelwork Contractor providing turnkey solutions for some of the most complex and technically challenging steel structures Nationally.
They possess a strong reputation for constructional engineering excellence and have grown to achieve annual sales of approximately £16Mn+ in a very short period of time (just 4 years!). With plans to further develop the business, this progressive operation has identified a need to acquire a talented professional who can help the business achieve further growth.
Servicing the Industrial, Commercial, Retail, Education, Health, Residential, Leisure, Infrastructure and Defence sectors, an opportunity has arisen for a Senior Project Management professional to become part of the key management team and take control of all projects in addition to adding value on front-end sales. This is a P&L accountable role and requires a manager with extensive operations experience. Knowledge that transcends primary (and secondary) steelwork, engineering, commercial, business development and on-site steel erection is essential to achieve success and this experience will be scrutinized at interview.
The position will require vision to take the lead role in forward business planning whilst delivering existing commitments to the highest of standards. The ability to develop and execute a strategy that manages existing projects whilst focussing on business growth is essential for the client.
Responsible directly to the owners of the business. The duties and responsibilities include:
- Take a lead role in conjunction with the Directors to manage and maintain existing projects and commercial relationships.
- Generate new high level commercial relationships for the business.
- Generate new enquiries and projects for the business.
- Managing existing enquiries and projects as appropriate.
- Prepare and deliver high level presentations to clients.
- Lead final negotiations where appropriate.
- Co-ordinate and manage existing Site, Project and Business Development Managers.
- Prepare and deliver regular monthly reports and data on company business development operations/cost performance.
The key skills and competences for the role are as follows:
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic.
- Able to communicate with individuals and clients at all levels, but particularly at a senior level.
- Able to identify and follow up new opportunities for the business.
- Able to lead final negotiations with clients.
- Able to prepare and deliver presentations to clients and be able to explain technical details if required.
- Able to prepare and deliver appropriate management reports to board level.
- Able to co-ordinate and manage internal & external (sub contract) resources.
- Able to conduct themselves with the necessary degree of professionalism.
- Able to work autonomously with little support.
- Must have relevant construction delivery experience combined with business development experience gained within the structural steel industry.
- A proven, sustained track record of delivering multiple projects to the highest of standards (simultaneously) and developing high level relationships with new and existing clients (main contractors, developers, consultants) in addition to securing profitable business.
An in-depth understanding of the on-site erection process is critical for this role. The purpose of this appointment is to enable the owners to focus on strategic growth whilst the successful candidate takes accountability for project delivery. The business is investing in a new fabrication facility and has further plans for growth through acquisition. This is a unique business and opportunities of this calibre rarely present themselves.
The role will involve 1, possibly 2 days per week at the client’s HQ. 3 to 4 days per week will be spent visiting sites (UK wide), ensuring projects are running to programme and meeting client’s to further engage, develop and capitalise on the company’s commercial relationships.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an exceptional candidate who understands steelwork construction, understands business development and has ambition to further develop their career. Achieving success in this role will lead to an MD appointment in a very short period of time. This is a fantastic opportunity for a candidate with ambition to prove themselves to the business owners. Success will see the incumbent become MD and take accountability for pushing the business into its next phase of development/growth (with further potential for International expansion). Could you be the future MD of this business? Should you possess the ability to develop and execute multiple projects whilst also adding value to business development and stakeholder engagement and can demonstrate doing this within the Structural Steel industry, please get in touch ASAP