Benefits & Business Case Lead
To lead the Benefits Realisation & Business Case function within the Portfolio Management Division (PMD) of the Office for National Statistics. This role reports to the Head of Portfolio Design and will work closely with stakeholders across multiple transformation programmes.
The post holder will be the subject matter lead on benefits realisaton, business case development, portfolio analysis and investment appraisal analysis to deliver value for money options which conform with HM Treasury and Cabinet Office requirements; assurance and scrutiny of the Portfolio. There will be a requirement to work closely with senior leaders across the organisation, providing quality information and advice to inform decision making and ensure ONS is delivering the optimal Portfolio to realise its strategic ambition and successfully deliver transformational change.
• Subject matter expert for benefits management within ONS, providing advice, resource and expertise to Programmes, Projects and Business Areas (in line with Axelos Managing Benefits), including:
- helping to identify benefits through facilitating benefit identification workshops, helping to value benefits for business case through benefit modelling,
- helping to plan for benefit realisation through working with customers,
- helping to ensure benefits are monitored with issues escalated through benefit reporting to Portfolio Committee.
• Provide expert advice and resource to Programmes, Projects and business areas in the development of business cases to ensure they are robust, deliver value for money, identify the way forward with the optimum Return on Investment and in line with HMT requirements (HMT Green Book, HMT Better Business Case and the 5 Case Model). This may include:
- Options generation / appraisal workshops
- Prioritisation and sequencing activity
- Benefit identification / valuation workshops
- Cost / benefit analysis
- Optimism bias and
- Drafting specific sections of a business case (eg the Census Transformation Programme Economic Case)
• Advises on and leads the internal ONS business case process ensuring that it is lean and appropriate for each investment
• Runs the Key Holder Approval Group to provide comprehensive support to Programmes in the development of business cases ensuring that investment recommendations to Portfolio Committee are robust and focussed
• Supports the Head of Portfolio Design and the Finance Director in the stakeholder engagement of external approvers HMT and Cabinet Office
• Provides strategic leadership for Portfolio Prioritisation ensuring that the Investment Portfolio is the best use of the investment funding to achieve the ONS Strategy and Transformation (in line with Axelos Management of Portfolio)
• Supporting as one of the ONS representatives for engagement with HMT on ONS Investment Portfolio matters
• Manages the secretariat services of Portfolio Committee and Key Holder Approval Group
• Provides training and awareness-building sessions on any of the above.
The post holder will have a strong background in investment and options/portfolio analysis and benefits realisation management. Further, you will have the ability to adapt traditional methods and processes to both support Agile working and maintain levels of required scrutiny and assurance. You will have the experience necessary to provide assurance to senior leaders through the provision of quality information and professional advice. You will be able to demonstrate that you are comfortable working with senior stakeholders and are able to lead a best in class service.
Skills and Experience
- Significant experience in business case, benefits realisation and options/portfolio analysis management to support corporate investment decisions for large complex projects/programmes.
- Proven ability to adapt traditional methods and processes to both support Agile working and maintain levels of required scrutiny and assurance. You will have the experience necessary to provide assurance to senior leaders through the provision of quality information and professional advice. You will be able to demonstrate that you are comfortable working with senior stakeholders and are able to lead a best in class service.
- Knowledge and experience of multiple delivery methodologies and extensive experience of complex business case development and benefits management.
- An expert in interpersonal and communication skills with a proven record of establishing, building and maintaining strong, collaborative and productive relationships across functional and organisational boundaries.
- An expert in driving action through the principle of continuous improvement and development, throughout a complex technical and diverse organisation.
- An expert at effectively managing relationships with and influencing senior stakeholders, producing clear advice on complex issues.
- An expert, focused on delivery of outcomes, who can work under pressure, respond quickly and decisively to changing circumstances and to a tight timetable.
- A track record of fostering a leadership culture that is oriented to tangible delivery outcomes.
Proven ability to organise a complex workload, to prioritise, and manage rapidly changing demands and priorities but essentially to model positive behaviours that reflect the corporate values and culture.
- A formal accounting qualification (CCAB or CIMA)
- A valid Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) or Management of Portfolio (MoP) practitioner certificate
Selection process details
Application including CV & Personal Statement
**** Your Personal Statement of should be no longer than 600 words long and detail how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the requirement of the role. You should also detail the scale, complexity and cost of projects/programmes supported.****
Please note your Personal Statement will be assessed against the Person Specification and Essential Skills and experience.
Candidates that successfully pass the sift will be invited to a competency based interview where they will be assessed against the following competence areas:
- Benefits Management - Government Project Delivery Framework - Expert
- Business Case - Government Project Delivery Framework – Expert
- Leading and Communicating – Civil Service Competence Framework – Level 4
- Seeing the big picture - Civil Service Competence Framework – Level 4
The interview will include a 5 minute presentation. You'll be given the topic 30 minutes prior to your interview where you'll be able to prepare.