PMO Manager for Economic Statistics Transformation Programme
About the Office for National Statistics:
We are the UK's national statistical institute and the largest producer of official statistics in the UK. We are also the only government department with the production of statistics as its main role. We are independent of ministers and instead report through the UK Statistics Authority to Parliament and the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
ONS is a stimulating place to work. Our statistics are in the media just about every day, and are used across government and by ministers for policy making, the evaluation of government performance, and in informing public debate.
About the Programme:
The Economic Statistics Transformation Programme supports the production of better statistics which will lead to better decisions for the UK, and addresses issues and recommendations from a number of recent reviews.
A vital part of our strategy is improving economic statistics to keep pace with the rapidly changing nature of the economy.
About the Profession
The Project Delivery is recognised and supported as a key profession within ONS. As a profession, we will support you, and play an active role in your development. The profession is underpinned with a principle of Continuing Professional Development and you will be supported with this. A structured career path with training and qualification requirements has been developed to help you map out and plan your career. As an organisation we value and respect our Project Delivery professionals.
The role of the PMO Manager is to define and maintain standards for project management within the Programme. This includes the implementation and sharing of best practice as well as the development and application of project procedures, tools and techniques in order to standardise methodologies and realise economies. The PMO Manager provides expert guidance, support and insight on the projects, and acts as the source of all programme information and metrics.
- Delivery and Leadership – Lead the PMO to support the programme in the delivery of Business Case benefits and outcomes. Champion the use of best practice project management standards and processes
- Resources – Manage the PMO and support the Project Managers in the identification, recruitment, development, deployment and reassignment of resources throughout the project lifecycle
- Internal Stakeholder Management – Advise the project teams on appropriate tools and techniques for managing internal or programme level stakeholder relationships. Provide assurance to the Programme Director on the effectiveness of stakeholder management arrangements
- Risks and Issues – Establish the programme/project processes and standards for managing risks and issues. Provide assurance to the Programme Director on the effectiveness of Risk and Issue management arrangements
- Governance and Assurance – Ensure appropriate governance is in place and arrange external reviews at appropriate points in the lifecycle. Monitor effectiveness of controls and ensure that recommendations from external reviews are acted upon.
- Change Management – Establish and implement protocols to manage the change of the scope of projects and/or programme and update configuration documents as required.
- Project Performance and Controls – Establish and operate project controls on behalf of the Programme Director, reporting on project progress and status to appropriate bodies. Identify common capabilities and opportunities for linking up, re-using and sharing methods of resources between projects and programme. Ensure learning from experience is disseminated across the organisation.
- Guidance and Support – Identify, develop and share best practice project management processes, tools and templates and benchmarks against industry standard. Provides direction and guidance to the project teams.
The post holder will have line management of a number of direct reports including the programme office functional leads. You will also be expected to deputise for and represent the Programme Director, as required and contribute to corporate responsibilities as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- You will hold a valid Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) practitioner certificate awarded by Axelos and / or extensive experience in a multi-million pound transformation programme with a large number of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of embedding frameworks, tools and methodologies
- Experience of working in multiple project delivery methodologies including Agile and Waterfall
- Experience of developing and embedding governance arrangements in a complex stakeholder environment
- The ability to establish and develop productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders to benefit projects
- A successful track record of engaging, motivating and leading others
- The ability to adapt to changing circumstances whilst maintaining performance