The Operations Manager will manage a distribution depot in Liverpool by delivering a safe, compliant, profitable and customer focused operation. Success will be achieved by achieving your depot’s profit and loss targets, improving team performance and maintaining a competitive cost base that delivers best in class customer service and underpins profitable growth.
Summary of the role:
- Ensure Compliance is never compromised and all colleagues adhere to company and statutory Health and Safety requirements.
- Weekly authorisation of driver pay to payroll ensuring drivers wages are correct and any timesheet errors are dealt with appropriately.
- Manage performance issues including absence and disciplinary interviews.
- Authorise driver holidays and ensure efficient and appropriate cover is available.
- Report all accidents and near misses.
- Support driver inductions and driver onboarding and conduct probationary reviews.
- Manage driver resource levels with support from the Driver Recruitment Manager.
- Develop and deliver a ‘Best in Class’ Customer Service experience.
- Management of Depot/Transport Operation to agreed budgets and targets.
- Develop strong business relationship with your customer(s).
- Establish and drive team objectives in line with business measures.
- Benchmark internal activities against competitors and develop best practice ideas.
- Keep abreast of relevant innovations and developments in the Logistics field.
- Support business development projects to drive the company’s continuous profitable growth.
- Build trust with external bodies as appropriate including Unions, Auditors and VOSA.
What we’ll expect from you
- To succeed in this role, you will be an experienced Transport Manager with a logistics background and tanker experience is desirable.
- CPC National and International accreditation.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills; with high levels of integrity, ethics and judgement.
- A completer finisher, you will need to demonstrate proven experience as a Transport Manager.
- A committed team player with a highly collaborative style; you will need to be resilient, resourceful and agile.
- High level of energy, drive and resilience and the flexibility to thrive in a fast-paced Logistics environment.
- Full clean Driving Licence (Desirable).
- Health and Safety qualification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A seasoned Transport Logistics Manager; with the tenacity, skills and ability to analyse and deliver stretching Performance.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills with the ability to persuade others
- Excellent experience in the tanker logistics industry
- Excellent interpersonal skills; with the impact and ability to command respect at all levels
- Excellent organisational and team building skills
- Trustworthy and understands the importance of confidentiality
- Champion of excellent safety and compliance standards
- Good knowledge of employment law and practice
- Experience of using Microsoft Office applications and planning programs
- Flexibility to travel and/or stay overnight to attend Management meetings with Customers and Colleagues
This role offers a competitive salary plus benefits.
What is Abbey like to work for?
Abbey Logistics is one of the UK’s most recognised and respected road transport brands. With operations throughout the UK and a growing presence in Europe, we support some of the largest manufacturers in the food, plastics, minerals and non-hazardous chemicals sectors.
If you’re ambitious, Abbey Logistics is a great place to be. We’re still growing which means there are more opportunities than ever before. We’re also committed to developing our talent. Last year we made numerous promotions across the company. This year promises to be no exception. You will enjoy a fantastic benefits package and the opportunity to work with people focused and determined on improving standards in the transport and logistics industry.