Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) is the force behind the Armed Forces, and is a highly specialised part of the Ministry of Defence. From the procurement of clothes to carriers, food to fighter jets, we ensure our UK military customers – the Royal Navy, the British Army and the Royal Air Force – have the equipment and support they need to carry out their duties effectively.
As a Project Manager, you may lead or be part of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for the delivery of new equipment or a major upgrade to an existing system. This might see you managing the acceptance trials programme for a new ship or aircraft, being accountable for the delivery of a new military bridging system, or developing a strategy to rationalise the provision of electronic countermeasures across a range of platforms.
The Merlin and Apache Delivery Teams are part of the Helicopters Operating Centre based at the Leonardo Helicopter site in Yeovil. Across both Teams there are exciting opportunities for experienced Project Managers to help keep the Royal Navy and Army Merlin and Apache Helicopters flying. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of Defence, then this could be the ideal career for you. One of these positions will be within the Apache Team and the other two with Merlin.
All three roles will involve managing the delivery of complex work packages cutting across the delivery space, and will require you to be able to demonstrate strong problem solving ability and be able to react to emerging issues.
- Responsible for leading, managing and developing multi-disciplinary teams covering a range of subject areas within associated semi-complex projects, multiple simple projects or complex control accounts.
- Accountable for the delivery of their projects’ outputs within the performance/cost/time envelope for a semi-complex project, multiple simple projects or complex control accounts.
- Responsible for ensuring the most cost-effective and efficient means of delivery, whilst mitigating risk and leveraging opportunities.
- Support an open, honest, no blame culture. Actively highlighting failures and shortfalls positively and drawing through LFE into the project or control account, advising on mitigations and engaging with order book item (OBI) owner to mitigate wider occurrence.
- Responsible for embedding and adhering to all governance and policy and enable the required compliance throughout their team, ensure appropriate challenge and gain approval to deviate when necessary.
- Regularly meet the customer to understanding the objective, requirements and the means of acceptance in line with the MoD’s Operating Model and Defence Lines of Development.
- Deliver project requirements within the performance/cost/time envelope. Sustain and leverage value through the monitoring and management of contract performance against commitments (product and services) and meet our own obligations under the contract.
- Responsible for meeting budgets within all In-Year and longer-term accounting periods equipment procurement plan (EPP), equipment support plan (ESP) and operational expenditure (OpEx). Lead and ensure that the wider financial (and resource) profiles are driven from the activities in the project schedule and the work breakdown structure (WBS).
- Lead the construction (through the Project Controls Function) of the Performance Measurement Baseline for the control account.
- Proactively support career management and the wider development of the PMs.
Due to security requirements, some of the posts are reserved for Sole UK Nationals Only.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Strong evidence of project managing semi-complex projects or multiple simple projects
- Examples of leadership and people management, or that of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to engage with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- Skills in influencing and negotiation
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Any of the following: APM, PMQ/MSP or similar, relevant graduate qualification i.e. MSc (Project Management)
- Understanding of type Military Aviation Authority (MAA) Air Worthiness Regulations
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
- Controlling a project
- Stakeholder management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
- Making effective decisions
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
The Project Management Function provides a pipeline of project professionals to deliver our complex programme of work. The breadth of what our Project Managers do, means a career with us gives you a fantastic level of variety and a genuine ability to develop your project management career. From developing the nation’s future submarines to acquiring armoured vehicles, our work is at the forefront of fast-paced, cutting-edge project delivery.