Senior Project Manager - Sonar
The company, founded in 1961, provides engineering and software design services to Government agencies, industrial prime contractors and academia. We employ high-calibre staff and place our emphasis on quality of service, innovation, flexibility and a creative approach to problem solving.
The Sonar Portfolio designs, develops and delivers sonar sensors and systems for Naval customers worldwide. This includes product lines as well as bespoke development. Work it undertakes includes the design, development and delivery of individual acoustic sensors, through sonar array products such as KraitArray and up to full scale Anti-Submarine Warfare sonars such as the Krait Defence System.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Manage bids, programmes, projects, tasks and work packages taking responsibility for the outcomes, budget, quality and timescales.
- Act as the customer, subcontractor and internal point of contact
- Provide effective and wide-ranging leadership in the project and beyond, engender team spirit, develop teams and focus effort on delivery on common goals
- Leverage a deep understanding of SEA's business and technology to add value in how projects are delivered through effective planning, risk and opportunity management and issue handling.
- Operate in line with SEA's business management system and actively champion the improvement of working processes in line with industry best practice and cutting-edge developments.
- Drive continual improvement within projects and work packages, gathering lessons and reducing waste.
- Commit to personal continued professional and competence development.
Travel may be required to other SEA sites as well as customer and supplier premises both in the UK and abroad.
- Achieve budgeted performance of their projects, monitor progress against targets, providing detailed forecast updates, initiate actions to maintain or exceed budgeted revenue, gross margin and cash performance and effectively manage all associated risks and opportunities
- Manage stakeholders effectively, maintaining and developing cooperative and constructive relationships with customers, suppliers and SEA staff
- Proactively develop business opportunities in collaboration with the business development team. Confidently lead the development of business winning proposals for high value and complicated projects.
- Deliver and plan complex projects and programmes effectively and professionally in accordance with industry best practice and SEA’s management system
- Be highly skilled in handling of issues, including leading the team in problem solving.
- Achieve high levels of staff engagement and ensuring team members are aware of and understand their priorities, scope of work, acceptance criteria as well as the relation of their work to project strategy, aims, objectives and business case.
- Enable the team to continually improve by removing impediments, capturing lessons and reviewing delivery outcomes.
- Line Manage project staff, as required, setting SMART objectives, monitoring performance, developing personal development plans and conducting annual staff appraisals
- Develop personal competence and capability within the discipline of Project Management in accordance with the guidelines of the APM.
- Experience of managing firm price £1M+ defence systems contracts
- Expert in risk and opportunity management
- An excellent communicator and able to demonstrate both effective change and conflict management with highly developed influencing skills
- Proven in-depth knowledge and experience of all phases of a project from inception, planning and organisation, monitoring and control, closure in the military environment
- Deep knowledge of the full range of project management competencies including financial and earned value management, risk and opportunity management and supplier and subcontractor project management
- Extensive Knowledge and experience of different commercial arrangements including fixed price design and manufacture, availability-based service provision, build-to-print, time and materials contracts, etc.
- Hands-on experience of working with project management tools, such as Microsoft Project, risk registers, etc. including the ability to use advanced features when necessary
- Formal qualifications with the APM (to PMQ), professional registration or actively working towards similar level qualifications.
Please note: Part time home working would be considered but must be willing to work at least 2 days per week in our Barnstaple office.
All applicants must be eligible for a UK Security clearance to at least SC lvel and hold a current driving licence.