Programme Manager – Waste Management
Essex County Council requires a Programme Manager to support the Programme Director in leading and delivering an emergent waste management portfolio.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop new projects and programmes from the point of inception, through to benefits realisation and support the Council’s climate action commitments.
The projects and programmes will differ in nature, but all must lead to sustainable business change and all will make a significant contribution to the Council’s strategic aims and management of financial pressures. An experienced and exemplary leader, with professional credibility - this role will be influential in delivering change that supports best practice.
To secure this far-reaching role, you will ideally have significant programme delivery experience in the waste management sector. If you don’t have this subject-matter expertise, then interested candidates will be expected to have demonstrable experience of having worked in a range of sectors and a proven ability to learn quickly.
The successful candidate will be required to build compelling business cases that drive change, establish appropriate programme governance, monitor progress, manage risks and ensure the business can accommodate the change.
Accountabilities (including but not limited to):
- Works collaboratively with service areas and partners supporting the development of compelling business cases.
- Builds effective stakeholder and partner relationships at senior level, which are influential and elicit support at senior level.
- Accountable for leading teams of people, to build professionalism and expertise through development activities.
- Accountable for developing and delivering a resourcing plan, including management of programme budget, for complex and large-scale programmes to ensure delivery of outcomes.
- Responsible for overseeing risk and issue management, ensures mitigations are in place to address issues between elements of the programme, resolving these through negotiated agreement or escalating.
- Works collaboratively with customers to agree quantified realisable benefits and metrics to monitor impact. Designing and actively managing the programme plan, ensuring outcomes are achieved.
- Accountable for maintaining the overall integrity and coherence of programme & governance framework to support each project. Plan programme assurance activities and manage dependencies within the programme and across other activities in the portfolio.
- Responsible for cascading the programme vision and translating these into delivery objectives which support the Strategic Aims of the Council. Lead the programme to deliver the business case benefits and outcomes.
- Responsible for providing technical leadership in both line and matrix management styles, to ensure successful delivery of programmes and for supporting the Portfolio Manager in leading, assuring and delivering the portfolio of work which delivers against the Strategic Aims of the Council.
- Specific targets & objectives defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by extensive experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area, accredited to the level of APM Practitioner or MSP Practitioner.
- Evidence of successfully implementing major change initiatives within a range of large organisations.
- Experience of working closely with Members and senior leaders and managers to overcome resistance to change.
- Ideally experience of working within a political environment with detailed knowledge of a public sector setting & the nuances involved in being part of a complex environment.
- Experience of working with complex multi-agency partnerships and stakeholder groups.
- Exemplary leadership capability evidenced in creating a high-performance culture, drawing on specialist skills and expertise effectively, bringing together diverse capabilities.
- Evidence of creativity in exploring innovative business opportunities which maximise opportunities for development of a financially sustainable service.
To apply please click here https://www.workingforessex.com/apply/programme-manager-waste-management-610/
Closing date: 28 January 2021.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please email email@example.com or call us on 0333 013 5888. Lines are open Monday to Friday 08:30 - 16.30.