Project & Programme Development Specialist
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Project and Programme Development Specialist. This critical role will lead the development of our project and programme capability across the Trust, so if you have deep experience in this field, are passionate about driving capability development in a collaborative way and have experience of managing organisational change, we’d love to hear from you.
Currently the team is working remotely. Once COVID restrictions ease, you’ll need to be in our Head Office in Swindon on average one/two days per week. Occasional travel to Trust properties nationwide will also be required.
What it's like to work here
The National Trust’s Project & Programme Centre of Excellence sits within our Strategy Management Unit, at the heart of the organisation. The team is all about driving excellence in Project and Programme Management across the National Trust, improving our organisational capability to deliver more projects in service of our exciting strategy.
The Trust’s approach is aligned to the Association for Project Management (APM) – we’re active members - and past winners of Project Management Company of the Year.
You won’t work for an organisation with a more varied portfolio of projects - we support activity across the charity from construction to nature conservation, curation to renewables, through to IT and service delivery, heritage conservation to marketing.
Our projects span England, Wales, and Northern Ireland - working with us you’ll be protecting unforgettable places for future generations. We spend £200m+ on our projects annually and have ambitious plans to build on this. Working within the Centre of Excellence, you’ll play a critical role in helping us achieve these goals.
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Head of Projects & Programmes, you’ll be responsible for managing the development of project and programme capability to support delivery of the National Trust’s strategy.
You’ll be responsible for the design and delivery of our development programme through internal and external partners, responding to the rapidly-changing context we now work in. Collaborating with a range of stakeholders you’ll lead the development of our project management community. The creation of our development framework detailing the potential pathways for our project teams has started but this role will help shape this vision and implement it within the organisation.
Please also read the full role profile attached to this advert.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role, you will need:
• Experience of a leadership role in projects and programmes and the ability to apply this to developing capability and leading change.
• A Professional Project Management (APMP/Prince) or Programme Management (MSP) qualification, and a willingness to work towards APM Chartered (ChPP) status.
• Proven experience of a delivery role in multiple projects and programmes.
• Experience of delivering training/capability development workshops to senior stakeholders.
• Excellent people and influencing skills enabling strong working relationships to be built.
We know that we can't serve our diverse audiences without firstly celebrating the diversity of our people. That's why we work hard to create an inclusive culture where everyone feels a sense of belonging. We welcome and value difference, so however you look, wherever you come from and whatever your favourite TV programme, we want to hear from you.
Benefits of working at the National Trust:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Discounts in high street stores, cinemas, National Trust properties and cafes.
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Generous annual leave
- Subsidised health cash plan
- Free 24-hour support service
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Training & Development tailored to you
- Up to 5 days of paid volunteering for you.