To provide and deliver a high quality, cost effective Mechanical engineering service in accordance with the needs of various client groups and the residents of London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Strategic & Team Plans and the Council's Standing Orders and Financial Regulations.
To be responsible for delivery of the Mechanical aspects of the team's overall objectives. To provide an exemplary professional service to ensure that properties are effectively and efficiently maintained, repaired, adapted, improved or replaced, in accordance with client requirements, good practice, legislative and statutory requirements and to achieve agreed performance targets.
To contribute to the development of and comply with, the team's operational procedures and strategies commit and engage in the Council's Learning & Development initiatives and develop partnerships with the Council's appointed contractors to actively contribute to the primary focus of continual improvement, raised expectations and improving performance.
- Responsible person for the necessary Mechanical engineering expertise to enable the delivery of the full range of Mechanical works and Statutory compliance in conjunction with the other mechanical engineer for the Technical services Team's functions in accordance with performance targets as set out by Best Value Performance Indicators, Corporate and Directorate Plans, in conjunction with the Council's appointed contractors.
- Responsible for the mechanical aspects of the planning, review and development of the mechanical & electrical service to fully meet the annual requirements of the Council's repairs, maintenance and development, revenue and capital programmes.
- Advise, develop and implement client approved planned, cyclical and day to day maintenance programmes including statutory testing and servicing contracts
- As an acknowledged Mechanical engineering expert, provide technical advice on works required to maintain, improve and/or develop property
- Consult with head teachers, internal and external clients and external service providers to ensure that they are included in work proposals as appropriate including inculcating awareness of all fees that may be necessary.
- Work closely with specialist support teams to assess children's needs for specialist Mechanical engineering related equipment.
- Advise client departments of the environmental impact of proposed and actual works
- Responsible for delivering the full range of mechanical engineering duties on allocated works - as below, appropriate to the scope of work undertaken, including major new build and/or refurbishment projects, planned maintenance and other revenue and capital funded projects and work programmes.
- Prepare feasibility studies, option appraisals and budget estimates to enable decisions to be made on allocation of budgets and formulation of works programmes
- Undertake project co-ordination role where acting as lead officer for projects with multi-disciplinary design input
- Responsible for preparing Committee and other reports to enable all necessary approvals to be obtained to enable scheme progression within Financial regulations and Council Standing Orders
- Chair and attend meetings for allocated projects to ensure adequate progress and quality of construction projects. This includes giving clear instructions to contractors and other support consultants to ensure adherence to project brief and budget
- Prepare all documentation and information and submit same to obtain all necessary statutory and other consents
- Represent the section/Council as an expert witness in legal proceedings when required
- Prepare relevant documentation for insurance assessments
- Provide technical advice to client and other officers of the council on all aspects of work within sphere of responsibility
- Prepare schedules and contract conditions for Measured Term and other Contracts, analyse and report on tender returns.
- Keep abreast of all procedural legislative, good practice and current professional standards as they relate to the Mechanical engineering function. Ensure that these are appropriately applied to all designed projects and tasks.
- Represent the service at a variety of meetings concerning Mechanical or electrical engineering, repairs, maintenance, refurbishment, adaptation and new build issues, including management team meetings, committees, client/user group meetings and other external organisations as and when required.
- Provide or supervise site training of users in correct use of Mechanical engineering services provided.
- Ensure that all duties and responsibilities are discharged in accordance with the Council's - Health & Safety at Work Policy and legislative requirements.
- Participate in the Councils performance management scheme, ensuring that performance standards/targets are met within agreed timescales
- Comply with the Council's Equal Opportunities Policy and assist with its development and promotion within the section.
- Act as a point of contact and communication for matters relating to team activities, including contact with other teams, sections, groups, Members, schools, local authorities, Central Government and other relevant bodies and preparation of recommendations of any changes in policy and strategy that may result.
- Work within the team to ensure staff resources are targeted to meet workload peaks and provide adequate cover of technical staff.
- Assist in the work of the Electrical Engineers and/or Surveyor colleagues in their absence
- Establish the validity of contractual claims and disputes and undertake negotiation and settlement as appropriate
- Attend emergencies as required within working hours and respond as required outside working hours in accordance with agreed arrangements
- Carry out research to inform the development of investment strategies
- Fully take charge of own caseload of work, to prepare correspondence keep full and accurate records and deal with enquiries from external bodies and other Council departments
- Advise clients and apply life cycle costings to specified materials ensuring the long term sustainability of investment strategies
- Respond to complaints made to the Local Government Ombudsman or the Council's own Complaints Procedure and ensure the prompt and adequate response to enquiries from M.P.s, elected members and client advocates in accordance with set timescales.
- Interview potential contractors prior to letting of contracts and contribute generally to appraising contractors for pre-tender consideration and prior to contract awards
- Assist with the interview of agency personnel prior to appointment as short term staff for workload peaks and training and monitoring of their work