Arup is a multi–disciplinary firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants, and technical specialists, working across every aspect of the built environment. Together, we help our clients solve their most complex challenges – turning exciting ideas into tangible reality as we strive to find a better way and shape a better world. As a wholly independent organisation, we are owned in trust for the benefit of our employees and their dependants: with no shareholders or external investors we determine our own business priorities and direction.
We are now looking to appoint a Director into our UKIMEA Programme and Project Management team.
- To be the recognised Arup voice, providing vision and leadership for this service across our clients and commissions, and across multiple business sectors across Arup.
- To be Arup’s programme management domain ‘centre of excellence’, bringing a consistent best practice and ‘future fit’ approach to our skills, services, clients, and commissions.
- Programme management leadership: advising clients and delivering strategic programme themes of delivery strategy, leadership and engagement, vision and outcomes, business case development, establishing governance, structuring a programme organisation, developing the delivery model. This often involves ‘assembling the plane in mid-flight’.
- Leadership responsibility for programme management and project controls specialists within our Programme and Project Management team including:
- Programme Leads and specialist Programme Managers operating at the strategic end of programmes.
- PMO practitioners fulfilling various roles within programme offices on our commissions including change control, monthly reporting, portfolio selection and analysis, and contract administration.
- Construction planning, including contract workers, delivering design and construction schedules, construction logistics planning and claims analysis. Championing the development of planning and visualisation tools will be included in this role, as will be its integration into an overall programme management offering.
- Project Controls specialists, including contract workers, developing their services and use of P6, Cobra, Power BI, and in-house project controls tools.
- Information Management specialists, currently deploying and supporting collaboration platforms and common data environment solutions such as Asite, Conject, SharePoint and ProjectWise.
- Risk Management specialists, including contract workers, currently supporting projects using a wide range of tools such as ARM and Primavera Risk Analysis.
- Integration of all the above, into a high value adding and efficient programme management service offering, as a core component of how the overall function operates.
- Digital Project Insight and Management: providing domain expertise into Arup-wide continual development of a baseline integrated digital project management system, part of the wider Arup Digital Transformation programme.
- Leading the increase in literacy of programme and project managers in the digital advisory services needed by clients to achieve their business objectives in a digitally enabled world.
Person Specification and Experience:
- The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, innovative with the ability to deliver quality results with a challenging but positive and influential style.
- A focus on continuous improvement in all areas of responsibility.
- The role holder will be a relationship builder with a reputation for integrity, evoking rapid trust and confidence in clients, colleagues, and teams alike.
- The ability to advise Arup’s clients on programme delivery strategy, leadership and engagement, vision and outcomes, business case development, establishing governance, structuring a programme organisation, developing the delivery model, Health and Safety, sustainability and resilience, stakeholder management, and engagement.
- Proven capability in successful programme or portfolio management services of complex built environment programmes, especially during their development phase.
- Proven capability to easily “tune in” to the client organisations we are working with – their values and their character. Being comfortable with working as part of their team, but able to bring in the new expertise and thinking that is required.
- Experience of knowledge transfer and capacity building with client teams, supporting their learning and capability building as a key outcome.
- Experience working with central Government on politically complex programmes, having the right combination of skills that show respect, humility and understanding of client organisations, and the political and organisational sensitivities involved.
- Experience of successful delivery of complex and challenging programmes from a professional programme management (client facing) perspective i.e. delivering to time, cost, quality, and sustainable outcomes.
- Proven track record in building long lasting client relationships, developing targeted propositions and winning work for a team.
- Proven capability in creating holistic business proposals that integrate relevant technical expertise from across a multi-disciplinary firm.
- Strong commercial awareness of a client’s business drivers and the business case for change programmes.
- Experience engaging with client programme boards and steering groups, including in politically complex situations.
- Experience of implementing and utilizing digital tools and systems in the delivery of complex programmes, across a broad range of project management disciplines.
- Awareness of digital transformation, requirements gathering, Agile PM methods, change programmes, process improvement.
- An appetite for exploiting the enablement offered by digital transformation in delivering programme management and project controls services.
- Experience of working as part of multi-company partnerships.
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- The successful candidate should be educated to a Degree / diploma level, ideally with a proven track record of personal and professional achievements.
- A demonstrated enthusiasm for ongoing learning and innovation including links to outside bodies.
Rewards and Benefits - We care about you and want you to perform at your best. As a result, we offer one of the best benefits packages in our sector click here to find out more!
Flex Your Time With Us - We believe that when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are a diverse community of people with shared values, who believe there’s no limit to what we can achieve if we work together. Back in 1970 our founder, Ove Arup, spoke passionately about the value of a diverse workforce. Fifty years later, this belief remains central to how we operate and grow.
We also understand that everyone’s circumstances are different and it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. If flexibility is important to you let us know when you apply and well discuss how this could work in your role.
What Happens Next?
All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application. Once we’ve reviewed your application, we’ll get in touch for a short telephone interview if we’d like to take things further. Whether your application is successful or not, you’ll always hear back from us.