QinetiQ supports our customers on a number of land vehicle and weapon systems providing safety and performance evidence to bring them into or keep them in service. Our projects attract engineers and scientists from across QinetiQ (at all levels of experience) to deliver trials, consultancy, advice and research.
Reporting to the Weapon Systems IDT and Programme Manager, the Project Manager will be responsible for the effective management and delivery of a number of projects. They will be expected to develop and grow customer relationships, have an active involvement in bids, secure associated follow-on sales and successfully contribute to the overall strategy and business targets.
This is a key role in the winning and delivery of contracted outputs to our customers which requires a leader with a ‘can do’ attitude to delivery and stakeholder management, combined with the ability to meet challenging deadlines, whilst remaining balanced under pressure. Some of our projects are heavily engineering biased and include significant proportions of engineering, test and evaluation, as well as juggling company wide resources, sub-contractors and customers.
Revenue and Sales responsibility: >£2-3M per annum
• Development and maintenance of positive engagement with project customers, partners and suppliers.
• Operating in a Safe & Secure manner.
• Embedding a culture in line with the QinetiQ values.
• Delivery of the project outputs, to agreed baseline (customer satisfaction, time, cost, quality, cash and sales).
• Ensuring project members operate in line with the Operating Framework & functional competency management requirements; and have appropriate personal objectives recorded in the QinetiQ performance management system.
• Resolving conflicts (including prioritisation calls) within the project and collaborating across QinetiQ.
• Maintenance of forecasts (both financial and resource demand) for sales and delivery which reflects the up-to-date expectations for the work.
• Application of governance requirements (including lifecycle, project & independent reviews as appropriate) for foundation sales and delivery work.
• Reporting progress on all accountabilities to programme manager.
Key Capabilities / Knowledge:
• Leadership; being able to influence and align others towards the vision for the project, and to empower & inspire people to achieve success.
• Integrity; being open, honest and doing the right thing. Keeping promises, admitting when I don’t have the answer and when I have made a mistake.
• Communication; being able to effectively communicate as part of a two-way interaction, using a range of techniques, to ensure the received meaning matches the transmitted meaning.
• Stakeholder Management; being able to identify, plan and implement actions to positively engage parties with an interest in, or influence over, the project outputs.
• Teamwork; being able to create an environment where a group of people with diverse personalities, skills, experiences and perspectives are empowered to collaborate towards a common goal.
• Foundation Sales; being able to identify, qualify, develop and deliver solutions to your customers using an existing commercial framework contract and be able to articulate the benefits of the QinetiQ solution to the customer.
• Negotiation & Conflict Management; being able to identify and address differences of objective, attitude or perception in order to produce an agreed outcome for all parties.
• Business Development; when required, work as a member of a capture team to generate delivery plans, risk registers and costings to support the creation of the proposal document.
Experience & Qualifications:
• Demonstrable capability to International Project Management Association Level C.
• Experience gained, typically rather than necessarily, between 2-3 years of leading a business, projects, programmes, portfolios or P3 function and successfully delivering complex projects.
• Experience delivering projects to multiple customers.
• Experience of working in Defence or other regulated industry.
• APM Qualification(s).
Why Join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation, courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.