Fugro UK are seeking a Projects Director to lead project execution in our land site characterisation business, based in our Wallingford, Oxfordshire office.
We’re tranforming our Land Site Characterisation (LSC) business for project-led delivery and are therefore looking for a dynamic and driven Projects Director to join our team. UK LSC provides full-life cycle site investigation services including geotechnical drilling, laboratory testing, cone penetration testing, monitoring and geophysics, onshore and in the nearshore marine environment. The team is involved in most major infrastructure projects in the UK related to rail, road, nuclear, and increasingly we are expanding into decarbonisation and coastal defence.
As Projects Director, you will be responsible for embedding a universal, right-sized approach to project delivery across the business and will be accountable for the performance of integrated projects above a certain revenue threshold. You will lead a team of Project Delivery experts, including the Project Managers who themselves will run each of our complex and challenging projects. You will interface with discipline leaders to ensure that we have the right resources allocated across our projects and ensure truly integrated client-focused delivery. As part of the UK LSC Leadership team, you will deliver the Strategy and Business Plan to deliver enhances profitability and growth.
This job is for you if:
- You demonstrate exemplary leadership to deepen and strengthen our safety culture
- You aspire to be involved in and contribute to large integrated projects and have an appropriate mix of geo-technical background and project management experience
- You have a disciplined yet pragmatic life-cycle project management approach
- You have the commitment to drive a culture of continuous improvement and focus on quality
- You are adept at delivering through others, valuing diversity and inspiring your team to strive for delivery excellence
- You enjoy building strong client relationships, supporting client satisfaction even in the most complex situations
- Enjoy working operationally, developing a team, contributing to business development, and managing and reporting project financial performance.
Who you’ll be working with:
Fugro UK has a matrix structure and as such you will have numerous interfaces. You’ll be part of the LSC multi-disciplinary leadership team. You interface with the regional and global LSC teams, and with our corporate project delivery and operational excellence teams. You will be close to our Commercial team leadership. You will spend time with clients and prospective clients.
Here’s what a typical day would be like:
- Managing a portfolio of client projects (with forecast revenues from hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of pounds) from inception to final contract settlement, within financial budgets, remaining compliant with specification and contractual programme dates
- Working with your Project Managers to develop a winning delivery strategy for a multi service-line project
- Ensuring that suitable technical and operational resources are allocated across a project portfolio and skills and capabilities match the project pipeline
- Implementing process improvement initiative
- Regularly reporting project financial performance and identifying opportunities for improvement
- Managing the Service Line and assigned resources to achieve optimal utilisation
- Actively performing client visits to develop new business which leads to profitable contracts
- Supporting tender strategies which span across Service Lines, in conjunction with other Service Lineand Commercial teams, and ensuring that client concerns are addressed in novel ways, bringing value for both them and Fugro.
- Developing your team through understanding each individuals capabilities and ambition
- As part of the UK LSC Leadership team, contributing to the overall delivery of the business plan
Who we’re looking for:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in Engineering, Geotechnics, Project Management or related subjects
- Chartered Civil Engineer or equivalent preferred
- Project Management qualification/accreditation preferred
- Business qualification preferred
- Extensive experience in a Geotechnical Engineering role, Project Management, Business Development and/or Proposal Management
- Demonstrable, Strong experience of managing project delivery