Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants, and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
We are looking for a Senior Data Analyst with a strong commercial acumen to join our Programme and Project Management (PPM) team based in our Midlands Campus in Solihull.
This role consists of the development of high-quality BI solutions focused on the financial and delivery performance of large engineering projects.
Our Senior Data Analyst will implement and develop Project Controls systems to report on project-specific KPIs and give leadership timely insight to make informed decisions. Day-to-day activities also include preparing project progress reports and dashboards, establishing resource baselines, and monitoring expenditure levels.
The Senior Data Analyst will report to the Transport Sector leader within the PPM Midlands. You will be required to be integrated into project delivery teams and work closely with technical discipline leaders, other Arup teams, and other consultants/contractors as required. The role requires enthusiasm, attention to detail, flexible response, and the ability to prioritise.
- Perform trend analysis and communicate cost and schedule performance both internally and to the key stakeholders.
- Implement Project Controls reporting procedures that enable senior leadership to make data-driven decisions.
- Drive process adoption and rollout supporting documentation in the most suitable manner for the stage of projects.
- Coordination of 'lessons learned' when appropriate as part of a continuous improvement culture for Project Controls.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Experience within a data/BI specialist role.
- Be able to create, manage and manipulate complex datasets.
- Have an understanding and application of data modelling principles, like Star Schemas.
- Apply data visualization and storytelling best practices.
- Strong understanding of BI and ETL tools – MS Power BI is preferred.
- Advanced MS Excel user, including the use of formulas, structured references, and pivot tables. The candidate will have undertaken appropriate formal training, and skills might be tested during the interview.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Ideally, degree-qualified in a STEM subject area.
- Knowledge of Project Management Office (PMO) functions, particularly resource and expenditure monitoring.
- Proficiency with MS Power BI, including DAX and Power Query.
- Critical thinker with the ability to challenge current practices and identify opportunities to re-engineer analytics processes.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Different people, shared values.
At Arup, we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world.
At Arup, we welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and any other protected characteristic. Our internal employee networks - BAME, Culture, Disability, LGBTQ+ and Women - provide a space for you to express your views and to make a positive difference - discover more about life at Arup here.
At Arup, we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best throughout your application.
At Arup, we appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our wellbeing. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply, and we will discuss how this could work in your role.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.