Working with us:
We encourage applicants from anywhere in the UK – as long as you’re able to be in the Mansfield office for a minimum of 1-2 days a week and attend our regular team meetings in person, we embrace a hybrid working model as much as possible.
We offer different ways to work flexibly, and the following types of flexibility are usually possible: job share, flexible hours, working from home for part of the week and compressed hours. Please feel free to talk about what flexibility means to you at your interview.
Who we are:
Here at the Coal Authority, we really are a great team to work with. We’re united in our passion and commitment to make a better future for people and the environment in mining areas.
We carry out a wide variety of essential services from responding to coal mining hazards, to keeping people and the environment safe from mine water pollution.
We are excited about what our future holds. Our work is helping to develop a new sustainable source of renewable energy for the UK. By harnessing the energy from mine water heat, we hope to play a key role towards helping the UK to meet net-zero emissions by 2050.
We truly are a supportive organisation where we all live and breathe our values. We are inclusive, trusted and progressive in everything that we do.
With a genuine commitment to flexible working, we believe that work life balance is incredibly important. There are a number of wonderful benefits that you’ll access being a part of our inclusive team including 27.5 days holiday (with an additional 6 days flexi time), an option to work in a hybrid way, a great civil service pension scheme, generous gym membership contribution, and support for your professional membership.
About the role:
The Principal PMO Manager role is a varied and challenging role which shapes the delivery of programmes and projects across the Authority.
- Leading a team of PMO professionals to provide assurance and support to a diverse range of programmes.
- Acting as critical friend and a source of knowledge on the management and best practice for programme set ups, management and reporting.
- Provides accountability and assurance to senior leaders and Sponsors on the delivery of Projects and Programmes.
- Co-ordinates capacity planning activity across all corporate Projects and Programmes.
- Leads a Community of Practice group to highlight and implement continuous iterative improvement in the delivery of Projects and Programmes across the Authority.
- Provides assurance to numerous Project and Programme Boards.
For more information about the role please refer to the attached job description.
You will have:
- Sound knowledge of project and programme management principals. A good understanding of what ‘excellent’ looks like from a PMO and an ability to embed best practice across the authority with enthusiasm.
- The ability to coach and develop the PMO team, leading from the front to ensure the team meets its departmental targets and individuals are able to develop.
- Excellent communication skills, enabling you to work with a variety of stakeholders adapting your communication and work style to effectively support the working practices of different programmes and departments,
- A genuine passion for all things PMO, including providing a Centre of Excellence and leading a Community of Practice ensuring continuous improvement of the Project Delivery and Assurance community across the authority.
- Works to continuously improve the maturity of the PMO at The Coal Authority.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
The Coal Authority is committed to developing a supportive, inclusive, caring and positive community. We encourage applications from people with the required skills and experience, from different backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities and beliefs. Diversity is vital to our success and innovation and is fundamental to our values of being trusted, inclusive and progressive. We offer a guaranteed interview for candidates with disabilities who meet the basic selection criteria.
If you require any reasonable adjustments or alternative format application forms you can get in touch with us by contacting the HR team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 0345 762 6848.
Other essential information
Application closing date: Sunday 29th May 2022
Successful candidates must pass basic security checks and will be subject to UK Immigration requirements.
Changes to the UK’s Immigration following the UK’s departure from the EU
Please note there is now a new immigration system which will apply to people arriving in the UK from 1 January 2021, and EU citizens moving to the UK to work after this date will need to get a visa in advance.
EU citizens applying for a skilled worker visa must now show they have a job offer from an approved employer sponsor to be able to apply. Currently, the Coal Authority is not an approved employer sponsor, so we will be unable to employ any new EU citizens wishing to work in the UK after 1 January 2021.
EU citizens who were already living and working in the UK before 1 January 2021 may continue to do so, providing they meet all the requirements and they apply to the EU Settlement Scheme before 30 June 2021. This will mean that they can continue to live the UK after 30 June 2021. If you are an EU citizen who has lived in the UK for many years or you have a permanent residence document, you still need to apply.