Job type: Permanent
Team: Electricity Transmission – New Infrastructure
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Project Director to work on our £ Multi-Billion East Coast Infrastructure Programme. Climate change is the biggest challenge facing our generation and the transition to clean energy is critical to help us achieve the goal of reaching net zero by 2050. As National Grid is responsible for delivering energy to millions of homes and businesses in the UK, we have a big part to play in this.
As the Project Director you will have overall responsibility for the Consenting, development and delivery of strategically critical, high value complex project(s) or programmes; safely, to time, quality and within budget while maintaining or enhancing the reputation of National Grid in the Electricity Transmission market.
- Full accountability for the definition, delivery and successful completion of high value, complex Infrastructure projects, safely to time, budget and quality.
- Drive a safety culture to achieve and uphold the highest levels of Health & Safety.
- Undertake complex consenting for Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects and gain Parliamentary approval where required.
- Develop, administer and manage intricate, multi-faceted budgets and investment plans while undertaking regular cost and productivity analysis to track and evaluate performance.
- Recruit, develop and lead diverse multi-disciplined teams across multiple projects and locations.
- Provide coaching, guidance, direction, and leadership to the project team while ensuring resources meet budget and business plan objectives.
- Negotiate funding and regulatory arrangements for a project, oversee, influence and deliver regulatory outcomes with outperformance opportunities. Align these outcomes and processes to internal investment decisions and sanction processes.
- Implement opportunities and manage risk to deliver all agreed outputs within the appropriate regulatory framework.
- Operate as the key interface and establish collaborative communication channels with all high influence stakeholders, including Joint Venture partners, Contractors and Local and Parliamentary Authorities.
- Where Joint Ventures are to deliver the projects, undertake a lead role within the JV representing National Grid and carrying appropriate Delegations of Authority.
- Be accountable for a centre of excellence ‘pillar’ in order to drive continuous improvements across New Infrastructure and ensuring learning across major infrastructure projects is realised.
- Direct and integrate the activities of multiple, major project operations; ensuring that project efforts are cohesive, consistent, and effective in supporting National Grids vision, goals, and strategic plan.
- Considerable breadth and depth of proven experience in construction project / programme and contract management, you will have significant experience working at a senior level within a construction business.
- Executive experience leading large, complex programmes of work, enabling project teams to operate innovatively, effectively and efficiently is key.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, capable of leading and influencing large, devolved teams, and gaining support and commitment from a wider operational group.
- Customer management experience and be able to influence customers and partner organisations.
- Relationship management experience, driving commercial value and performance through major contracts are all essential, as is experience of leading change and business improvement within a complex organisation/programme or project.
- Experience of managing complex commercial arrangements, including setting up, negotiating, and managing large contracts is key as is in-depth financial experience (having previously manged large capital budgets) and in-depth experience of managing large Operating Costs;
Travel is required for this role between Home Working, National Grid Offices and Sites, and for this reason a full UK driving licence is essential.
What you'll get
- Salary of £68,500 - £83,500 dependent on capability
- Company Car or Car Allowance of £6,000
- Annual Performance Based Bonus of up to 20% of your base salary
- 28 days annual leave (increasing to 26 after two years’ service) plus eight statutory days, and the option to buy additional or sell holiday days
- Generous contributory pension scheme - we will double-match your contribution to a maximum company contribution of 12%
- Financial support to help cover the cost of professional membership subscriptions, course fees, books, exam fees and time off for study leave – so long as it’s relevant to your role
- Access to several flexible benefits such as a share incentive plan, salary sacrifice car and technology schemes, support via employee assistance lines and matched charity giving to name a few
- Family care benefits including a back-up care service for when your usual care arrangements fall through (six paid days each year as standard with the option to purchase further days)
- Access to a numerous apps which support health, fitness and wellbeing
We have a reputation for promoting a healthy work/life balance. If you want to see more of your children, help care for relatives, or simply get to walk your dog every evening, our flexible working arrangements will support you.
National Grid Electricity Transmission (NGET) is at the heart of energy in the UK. The electricity we provide gets the nation to work, powers schools and brings energy to life. Our energy network connects the nation, so it’s essential that it’s continually evolving, advancing, and improving.
In NGET we are passionate about both operating our network safely and providing highly reliable quality of supply for our customers. At the heart of achieving these outcomes is the effective control and operation of our network.
Please follow the below link to learn more:
At National Grid, we work towards the highest standards in everything we do, including how we support, value and develop our people. Our aim is to encourage and support employees to thrive and be the best they can be. We celebrate the difference people can bring into our organisation, and welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds, and offer flexible and tailored support, at home and in the office.
Our goal is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, the innovation from diverse teams & perspectives and business need. We are committed to building a workforce so we can represent the communities we serve and have a working environment in which each individual feels valued, respected, fairly treated, and able to reach their full potential.