Interested in transforming UK Rail? HS2 is at the forefront of the Government’s biggest ever investment in upgrading Britain’s High Speed railways. We’re transitioning into Rail Systems delivery which marks a significant turning point in the lifecycle of HS2; moving through the detailed design and construction of Stations, Civils Tunnels, Viaducts, Bridges and cuttings along the open route and into technology enabled, reliable Railway set of integrated systems that resets global standards. It’s a multi contract environment, utilising an innovative collaborative model to deliver ‘Best for Programme’ outcomes.
This is a great opportunity to join our growing teams as we’re recruiting a range of Railway systems focussed roles to deliver this integrated programme including Track Systems, HV Power Systems, Overhead Catenary Systems (OCS), Signalling and Control Systems (Incl. Washwood Heath depot and the Network Integrated Control Centre (NICC)), Operational and 3rd Party Communication Systems, Engineering Management Systems, Tunnel/Lineside Mechanical and Electrical Systems.
We need talented people to help us deliver this complex programme along the HS2 route
At HS2, we’re leaving a legacy for future infrastructure projects. Delivering HS2 will enable the shift from road and air to rail, improving the quality of the air we breathe and supporting the transition to a net-zero carbon economy by 2050.
Come and join us on our journey!
As Senior Project Manager – Rail Systems, you’ll be responsible for managing the Rail Systems projects through the development of the specification and tender documents, procurement and the subsequent delivery of the project.
As a Senior Project Manager for Rail Systems delivery project(s) at HS2 you will be responsible for the successful delivery of the contract(s) to time, budget, scope and quality. You will manage the conclusion of the procurement process, preparation for contract award and delivery of the Phase One and 2a works. You will be joining HS2 at an exciting time as we move through the final stages of procurement and into contract award. The scope of the contracts will bring innovative technology to the UK railway and support delivery of this transformational project.
About the role
- To be responsible for providing project management support to one or more of the Heads of Delivery / Client Directors for their allocated project.
- To be responsible for supporting in the successful delivery of Railway Systems objectives outcomes.
- Interface with relevant Railway Systems stakeholders, for their project, as required
- To be responsible for the monitoring of the change generated from both the Construction/Delivery teams is appropriately managed; including scope changes and cost changes that impact on the affordability of the project, escalating issues to Client Director / Head of Delivery as required
- To be responsible for robust reporting on the progression of their project deliverables to the Head of Delivery and more broadly within the Railway systems programme at any required forums / panels, on a routine and ad hoc basis
- To be responsible to Head of Delivery for ensuring that project plans are developed, maintained, and analysed in order to identify and mitigate delivery risks
- To be responsible to Head of Delivery in identifying and ensuring that appropriate mitigating actions are implemented to address potential milestone slippages and escalating issues as required
- To be actively involved in the integrated HS2 team, including matrixed team members and any agency staff or consultants, providing day to day co-ordination to deliver project and / or contract requirements to the agreed schedule.
- To manage the package contractor(s) to ensure successful delivery of the project to time, budget, scope, and quality.
- To ensure the project is successfully integrated with other related HS2 and Network Rail projects.
- To manage the solution development of the named delivery projects.
- Responsible for providing controlled input to the Client Cost Estimate(s), delivery logistics, key milestones and time, cost, quality and safety targets to ensure objectives are achieved in line with overall programme plans
- Responsible for managing and delivering the required assurance and governance process across the named delivery project(s)
- To undertake the duties of the Project Manager under an NEC3 contract.
- Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Project management - the ability to develop, plan and integrate projects to optimise target costs and project benefits. Skills profile aligned to APM Project Manager (advanced).
- Problem solving – identifying problems and reviewing related information to manage the development and evaluation of options and the implementation of solutions. This includes the management and planning of multiple workstreams, considering the competing demands of stakeholders, cost, time and quality.
- Influencing & Negotiating Skills – including internal functions, external supply chain partners and other stakeholders.
- Collaboration – communication, openness, fostering debate, adaptability and agility and, achieving consensus whilst dealing with dissent.
- Understanding the relationship between contract reporting, project cost reporting, programme and business reporting and the criticality of this to business performance
- Experience of the entire project lifecycle including planning, procuring, developing and implementing railways systems project activities.
- Experience of supporting, developing and managing people directly and in a matrix environment.
You are expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies, and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
We operate broad pay scales for all our roles to enable us to fulfil our commitments to inclusivity and career development. Final package is dependent on individual knowledge, skills and experience. In addition, we offer a range of competitive benefits - check them out in the Benefits section on our website.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
Closing date: 9 July 2022.