Interested in transforming UK Rail? HS2 is at the forefront of the Government’s biggest ever investment in upgrading Britain’s High Speed railways. We’re transitioning into Rail Systems delivery which marks a significant turning point in the lifecycle of HS2; moving through the detailed design and construction of Stations, Civils Tunnels, Viaducts, Bridges and cuttings along the open route and into technology enabled, reliable Railway set of integrated systems that resets global standards. It’s a multi contract environment, utilising an innovative collaborative model to deliver ‘Best for Programme’ outcomes.
This is a great opportunity to join our growing teams as we’re recruiting a range of Railway systems focussed roles to deliver this integrated programme including Track Systems, HV Power Systems, Overhead Catenary Systems (OCS), Signalling and Control Systems (Incl. Washwood Heath depot and the Network Integrated Control Centre (NICC)), Operational and 3rd Party Communication Systems, Engineering Management Systems, Tunnel/Lineside Mechanical and Electrical Systems.
We need talented people to help us deliver this complex programme along the HS2 route.
At HS2, we’re leaving a legacy for future infrastructure projects. Delivering HS2 will enable the shift from road and air to rail, improving the quality of the air we breathe and supporting the transition to a net-zero carbon economy by 2050.
Come and join us on our journey!
As Project Manager – Rail Systems at HS2, you will be responsible for the successful delivery of the contract(s) to time, budget, scope and quality. You will manage the conclusion of the procurement process, preparation for contract award and delivery of the Phase One and 2a works. You will be joining HS2 at an exciting time as we move through the final stages of procurement and into contract award. The scope of the contracts will bring innovative technology to the UK railway and support delivery of this transformational project.
About the role:
- To be responsible for providing project management support to one or more of the Rail Systems Senior Project Managers/Heads of Delivery for their allocated project.
- To be responsible for supporting in the successful delivery of Railway Systems objectives outcomes.
- Interface with relevant Railway Systems stakeholders, for their particular project, as required
- To support the monitoring of the change generated from both the Construction/Delivery teams is appropriately managed; including scope changes and cost changes that impact on the affordability of the project, escalating issues to the Senior Project / Project Manager as required
- To support the monitoring of the change generated from both the Construction/Delivery teams is appropriately managed; including scope changes and cost changes that impact on the affordability of the project, escalating issues to the Senior Project / Head of Delivery as required
- To support robust reporting on the progression of their project deliverables to the Senior Project Manager/Head of Delivery and more broadly within the Railway systems programme at any required forums/panels, on a routine and ad hoc basis
- To support the Senior Project Manager / Head of Delivery for ensuring that project plans are developed, maintained and analysed in order to identify and mitigate delivery risks
- To support the Senior Project Manager / Head of Delivery in identifying and ensuring that appropriate mitigating actions are implemented to address potential milestone slippages and escalating issues as required
- To be activity involved in the integrated HS2 team, including matrixed team members and any agency staff or consultants, providing day to day co-ordinating to deliver project and / or contract requirements to the agreed schedule.
- To manage the package contractor(s) to ensure successful delivery of the project to time, budget, scope and quality.
- To ensure the project is successfully integrated with other related HS2 and Network Rail projects.
- To undertake the duties of the Project Manager under an NEC3 contract.
- Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Project management - the ability to develop, plan and integrate projects to optimise target costs and project benefits.
- Problem solving – identifying problems and reviewing related information to manage the development and evaluation of options and the implementation of solutions. This includes the management and planning of multiple workstreams, considering the competing demands of stakeholders, cost, time and quality.
- Understanding of project schedule management, dependencies and risk assessment.
- Understanding of the complexities of delivering projects with multiple interfaces.
- Knowledge of railway systems and/or telecommunications would be advantageous.
- Experience of managing people directly and in a matrix environment.
You are expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies, and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
We operate broad pay scales for all our roles to enable us to fulfil our commitments to inclusivity and career development. Final package is dependent on individual knowledge, skills and experience. In addition, we offer a range of competitive benefits - check them out in the Benefits section on our website.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
Closing date: 10 July 2022.