Senior Responsible Owner - Army Land Environment Tactical Communications & Information Systems Programme
As one of the most highly regarded and best equipped armies in the world, it is imperative that the British Army drive forward at pace an ambitious agenda of modernisation and transformation to remain competitive as the world evolves to ensure the Army is ready to meet the UK’s security and Defence needs.
To successfully achieve this ambitious agenda, the Army has embedded Portfolio, Programme and Project Management at the heart of its operating model to deliver the critical capabilities the Army needs to sustain its world leading position.
We are seeking a high-calibre and highly driven project delivery professional to take on this SRO role to provide strategic leadership for the delivery of the Land Environment Tactical Communications & Information Systems Programme (LE TacCIS). This is a category A programme (c£5.4Bn/10) and is included in the Government Major Projects Portfolio.
This programme is at the heart of the Defence Digital Strategy; working across the Defence Enterprise, this Army led critical digital modernisation programme will deliver much of the foundation for the Land Domain (including the Land components of the Royal Navy for the Royal Marines and Royal Air Force Regiment) and its deployed digital backbone to underpin the transition towards a Single Information Environment.
As SRO, provide strategic leadership of military personnel, civil servants and industry colleagues and take ultimate authority and personal accountability for the delivery of the Land Environment Tactical Communications & Information Systems Programme (LE TacCIS), which has a high level of Ministerial interest.
As the SRO for a critical digital modernisation programme for the Army you will be accountable for the delivery of its objectives, with policy intent and outcomes expected. This encompasses securing and protecting its vision, ensuring that it is governed responsibly, reported on honestly, escalated appropriately and for influencing the context, culture, and operating environment of the programme. You are also responsible for ensuring the ongoing viability of the programme and recommending its pause or termination if appropriate or aspects of it. This includes business case and requirements development, the establishment of appropriate governance and assurance, stakeholder management, monitoring progress, managing risks and issues, ensuring the business readiness for change and realisation of benefits.
As SRO, you will be personally accountable to the Executive Committee of the Army for the delivery of the programme’s objectives and outcomes.
In support of building an inclusive environment for all staff to grow, you will also play a wider leadership and mentoring role to support and build Project Delivery expertise across the function (300+ staff) and to embed best practice processes across the Army’s portfolio (value of £31bn/10) and develop a motivated and skilled workforce.
For the right person, this is an exceptional opportunity. Working as a senior project delivery professional in Government has the chance to change the nation, and people’s lives, for the better.
Having the right leadership is critical for the successful delivery of a project or programme. We are looking for an SRO who is committed to successful delivery of project and programmes, and is also accustomed to high levels of accountability, ensure strong corporate governance and be politically astute.
This is a demanding and high-profile role operating in a complex environment. The post holder will be expected to have experience of managing complex projects and programmes and of using portfolio management as a tool for leading organisational change.
- A credible and persuasive project delivery professional who will command the confidence of a range of Senior stakeholders including Ministers and Senior Officials and to support Board-level investment decisions. Displays professional courage with the confidence and authority to articulate, challenge, explain and justify decisions to stakeholders whilst remaining resilient in the face of extraordinary pressure.
- Proven experience in leadership roles which have required them to develop a vision that drives forward the organisation’s work and its future; motivating, enabling and empowering teams to deliver, with experience of leading organisational change and creating a lasting legacy beyond that particular programme. The post holder will also need to demonstrate an ability to lead and energise outside their immediate line management responsibilities.
- Extensive breadth and depth of major project delivery experience, leadership of multiple complex projects/programmes across all project phases a number of times, and performed a variety of leadership roles. Able to evidence successful delivery in terms of the complexity of what has been delivered and the scale of challenge.
- Experience of performing at high level over a sustained period, in a large organization which has a complex operating environment, where there is uncertainty and continual change.
- Appropriate Project Delivery professional qualification.
- Graduate of the Major Projects Leadership Academy (or to prepared to undertake the course).
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 11.55pm on Sunday 3 July 2022.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.