Why join us?
Are you an innovative individual with experience as a Project Manager?
We are recruiting for up to 6 Project Managers based in Exeter HQ with hybrid remote working (1-2 days per month in Exeter).
The Met Office provides critical weather services and world-leading climate science, to help people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive. Our exceptional people deliver scientific, technological and operational expertise and provide critical services. Our people work together to deliver extraordinary impact, making us one of the most trusted forecasters in the world.
Examples of projects include:
- Weather and Climate Science for Service Partnership (WCSSP) - International collaboration is vital to addressing the issues presented by global weather and climate change.
- Space Weather - Provision of the UK's national space weather services (forecasts device and information) for use by critical national infrastructure providers including: energy, defence, transport (aviation, maritime and rail) and satellite operators.
- IT Infrastructure and Operations is aimed at providing responsive, dependable technology and expertise to our datacentres and outstations.
- WISER Asia Pacific - This programme focuses on improving Weather and Climate Information Services (WCIS) and partnerships to improve resilience and adaptive capacity to climate change in Asia-Pacific countries.
Our reward package
As our Project Manager, your starting salary will be £45150.00 with opportunities to progress to £49890.00 over time. New joiners to the Met Office will start on the salary band minima.
Your total reward package is potentially worth up to £59,704.00 annually, which includes basic salary, potential corporate bonus and employer pension contributions.
Your package includes:
- Outstanding Civil Service Pension
- Flexible hours and homeworking
- Annual Leave starting at 27.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising to 32.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) after 5 years and option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and are committed to providing equality of opportunity and supporting our staff to achieve a good work-life balance. We offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at Met Office accessible to you.
As our Project Manager, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Accountability and ownership of the project to ensure the project maintains business focus and project deliverables are actively managed, including effective management of scope, cost, actions, dependencies and risks to ensure delivery aligns with strategic objectives, budget and timeline.
- Plan, support, facilitate and monitor and report progress over short, medium- and long-term timeframes against agreed objectives ensuring changing requirements are met.
- Ensure the defined methodologies, processes and tools are consistently applied, in-line with the overall standards set by the PMO and Programme.
- Working collaboratively and effectively with all stakeholders whether internal of external to the Met Office, provide leadership and direction to the team on requirements, scope, timescale, cost constraints and quality expectations.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & AbilitiesExtensive project management - PRINCE2 Practitioner and/or APM (Association for Project Management) Certificate or equivalent project related experience in Waterfall or Agile methodologies, with proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline.
Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills - ability to work collaboratively with multiple internal and external stakeholders at all levels, managing conflict, negotiation and working in a matrix organisation.
Managing priorities - proven experience of coordinating multiple activities and shifting demands, with the ability to prioritise and simplify complexity, to enable timely and effective decision making.
Strong leadership - delivery-focused mindset, with strong leadership and problem solving skills to overcome obstacles and motivate the team to identify solutions and deliver great outcomes.
Initiative - proactive and adaptable, with the ability to build a culture of continuous learning, development and mutual support.
How to apply
Closing date 03/07/2022 at 23:59 with interviews commencing from 11/07/2022 . You will hear from us once the closing date has passed. Our interviews are taking place remotely via Microsoft Teams.
If successful, you will need to work from 1-2 days a month at our state of the art office in Exeter for team days and face-to-face collaboration as required, we are unable to offer expenses for travel to your normal place of work.