Business unit information
The IPA is the government’s centre of expertise for infrastructure and major projects. We sit at the heart of government, reporting to the Cabinet Office and HM Treasury. Our core teams include experts in infrastructure, project delivery and project finance who work with government departments and industry. We support the successful delivery of all types of infrastructure and major projects; ranging from railways, schools, hospitals and housing, to defence, IT and major transformation programmes. We lead the project delivery and project finance professions across government.
Our purpose is to continuously improve the way infrastructure and major projects are delivered, in order to support government priorities and improve people’s lives. We aspire to create the best performing project system of any country in the world.
What we do
The IPA works with government and industry to ensure projects are delivered efficiently and effectively, and to improve performance over time. We work on the overall project delivery system, which includes the projects, people and processes that together create the right environment for successful delivery. We measure how well the system is performing, so we can learn important lessons and continuously improve project performance over time.
About the team
The purpose of the Function, Profession and Standards (FPS) Team is to set and drive continuing improvement in functional standards of project delivery; build professional capability and capacity; deliver world class leadership and learning programmes; and provide leadership to the project delivery profession across government.
This role operates at the heart of government project delivery, and provides a unique opportunity to improve the delivery of the highest priority projects across the UK public sector and leave a lasting legacy. It requires collaboration with senior leaders across all areas of the IPA and across the government projects community, and strong leadership skills to deliver through others, in particular through our delivery partner and external experts.
The primary focus of the role is to manage the implementation of the new government project delivery framework (GPDF) which is expected to be used by all major government projects in future. Adherence to the framework will be a condition of Treasury approvals. The GPDF will also be accessible via a cross-government hub for project delivery, under separate development.
The GPDF is expected to be adopted by all government departments and Arms Length Bodies delivering major projects. The GPDF is a top priority, as a key lever in delivering a step change in government project performance and as such, involves regular engagement and reporting into the IPA Senior Leadership Team and Chief Executive Officer. The GDPF is also one of the actions in Government Reform and is therefore a key ministerial priority for the Cabinet Office.
Your responsibilities are:
Supporting the future development, implementation and embedding of the new government wide project delivery framework in collaboration with experts in the IPA, Senior Responsible Owners, Heads of Profession and Portfolio Directors across government by:
- Undertaking a lead author role for the development and delivery of new guidance by working with accredited master and senior project delivery practitioners through the governance and lifecycle process (scope, draft, consult and publish) ensuring documents are produced to an exceptionally high quality, in terms of content and style
- Working with suppliers on content design and subject matter experts (internal and external) to deliver a quality and timely product for approval
- Ownership of the framework workbooks with the ability to review, critically challenge and further iterate future versions, in conjunction with key stakeholder groups
- Delivering robust and credible stakeholder engagement across government to ensure the adoption of, or alignment to, the framework by the Government Major Projects Portfolio, whilst enabling the identification of areas where the IPA can further support programmes
- Acting as a champion for the framework through the active provision of visible and comprehensive technical support and expertise to stakeholders during the implementation and embedding phase
- Encouraging the sharing of and leading the review of existing guidance and good practice products/examples to be included in the framework library; ensuring the identification of direct links from the framework to other IPA initiatives
Technical skills and qualifications:
You should be able to demonstrate practitioner level knowledge and experience of project delivery and the implementation of frameworks and/or guidance.
It would be highly desirable for you to hold a range of project management qualifications, including APM, Management of Successful Programmes, Change Management.
Skills and experience
- Exceptional writing and editorial skills.
- Ability to work with stakeholders to develop content and influence a successful outcome whilst managing a range of views.
- Ability to work across a range of teams - for example Government project delivery hub, project delivery standards, project delivery advisors, assurance, departmental experts, senior leaders.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: by 11:55pm on Monday 4 July 2022.