About the job
Are you an experienced Project Manager or want to work in the Project Delivery function?
Are you a dedicated person who is passionate about making a difference?
Can you use your problem-solving skills to seek out better ways of delivering?
If you are building a career as a professional Project Manager and can demonstrate leadership abilities and behaviours, we are waiting for you to join our team.
Defence Business Services’ (DBS) ambition is to provide high quality Corporate Services to the Ministry of Defence (MOD). We will achieve this by modernising all our service lines, introducing up to date technology, increasing digital delivery methods, automation and self-serve which will vastly improve end user and workforce lived experience and create capacity to focus on value-add activity. DBS is a key part in the delivery of MOD and Corporate Services Transformation outcomes.
The DBS Portfolio of major change is the vehicle to deliver the required groundbreaking technical and business changes. DBS provides mission critical services to military personnel, civilians, and veterans. These services include pay, pensions, and personnel services, delivered in-house and by an outsourced provision, the latter under a commercial arrangement that was renewed in June 2020.
DBS is passionate about providing a great service to all its customers and has developed a positive workforce culture where people feel supported and engaged
Working for DBS in a Civil Service Project Delivery role will provide you with a rich and challenging career in MOD and in the Project Delivery profession.
Personnel within the Project Delivery function in DBS will work across a variety of projects that DBS is delivering to and for our customers.
Within DBS we promote, encourage and support individuals to progress with their continuous professional development.
DBS is moving towards an organisation model in which every individual belongs to a professional function. The successful applicant will be posted into the Project Delivery function on Standard Terms of Reference for the grade. DBS reserves the right to move individuals between roles, within their allocated profession, to meet the needs of the business and in support of agile resourcing.
The Project Manager has a key role in project scope, governance and working with stakeholders to ensure the agreed project outputs are delivered to enable benefits to be realised.
Working in the newly formed DBS Programme Delivery Team these challenging Project Management roles are responsible for the delivery of major technical driven business change at pace. Collaborating with DBS and third-party colleagues as appropriate, you will be responsible for ensuring successful delivery of DBS outputs and outcomes associated to those projects as assigned.
You will apply your proven project management experience on a day-to-day basis to create the case for change, take through the approvals process, undertake project start up activities, undertake robust governance, develop realistic work and product breakdown structures, resource schedules, and monitor and manage the project activities to, time cost and quality. You will be responsible for the functional management and co-ordination of resources.
You will actively represent the DBS Programme Delivery team assuring supplier delivery where appropriate and holding them to account at the working level.
To be successful in the role, you will have experience of successfully leading and delivering small to medium projects. A proven track record of the leadership and management of projects and teams, providing guidance and support, mentoring and coaching.
You will have an open-minded approach taking ownership of tasks and delivering an effective result. We will need you to be confident when making decisions, being able to handle difficult conversations with others, handling them with sensitivity and professionalism.
You will need to bring with you your experience of engaging with internal and external stakeholders, using your strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively across various communication channels. Being able to use your problem-solving skills to analyse, evaluate the best solutions and present your findings convincingly.
You must be passionate about your own personal development and may already be working towards attaining or already hold industry standard qualifications in project, programme and/or portfolio management.
You should have knowledge and experience of business analysis techniques, with demonstrable experience in requirements definition and management; experience of Continual Service Improvement strategies; strong stakeholder engagement, negotiation and influencing skills; good commercial awareness and supplier management skills and strong verbal and written communications skills.
Training and support will be provided to successful candidates irrespective of experience.
- Good evidence of background, knowledge, and experience of delivering projects using the project management approaches, tools and techniques that are described in the extant Association of Project Management (APM) Body of Knowledge. Candidates who do not have the APM PMQ qualification but have an equivalent or higher qualification must stipulate in the application form on what basis their qualification is equivalent or higher. All qualifications declared must be held at point of application and if applicable be in date.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills; proven ability to define, source, tailor, and analyse high quality management information.
- Able to demonstrate the professional credibility required to work collaboratively across project and organisational boundaries.
- A desire to continue to learn and develop as a project professional.
What we can we offer you:
- Opportunities to learn new skills and work on interesting projects.
- Career progression and a chance to work on meaningful projects.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Flexible working patterns for a work/life balance.
- The opportunity to work remotely and/or in a modern well-equipped office.
The team is currently largely working from home post COVID; however, it is envisaged that this post would have a requirement to travel to any of the DBS duty stations as required. Work location will be agreed once the successful candidates have been selected.
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- A Civil Service pension.
- Family Friendly – Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Leave.
- 5 days per year Learning & Development.
- Generous leave allocations.
- In year rewards and ‘thank you’ schemes.
- Flexible working.
A wide range of discounts – Defence Discount Service, Civil Service societies for Sports and Leisure, Healthcare, Insurance, Motoring, company discounts with Virgin, Vodafone, and Microsoft Office.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 11:59pm on 29 July 2022.