Our client Scottish Power Renewables are seeking an experienced Project Manager for an on-going contract role based in Glasgow.
ScottishPower Renewables is part of Iberdrola, one of the world’s largest utilities and the leading wind energy producer. Committed to sustainable value creation for all stakeholders Iberdrola has a renewables capacity of over 29,592 megawatts (MW). Managing the global offshore wind business from Glasgow, ScottishPower Renewables is responsible for progressing onshore wind, solar PV and battery storage projects in the UK and offshore windfarms throughout the world, managing the development, construction and operation of all projects
Business & Department
This role sits as a member of the Construction Team, within the Onshore Projects & Construction Team for the Global Onshore Business within ScottishPower Renewables (SPR) and will report into a Project Manager within the team. This role will have multiple interfaces in projects of external Consultants and Contractors and within the organisation, belonging to projects and departments across the business and Group
A key role within the ScottishPower Renewables Project Delivery team focussing on the development and delivery of large scale renewables projects primarily using new technologies such as Solar PV and Battery Storage.
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the jobholder will be responsible for leading multi- disciplinary teams in the development and safe delivery of renewable projects ensuring value to the business is maximised within acceptable risk parameters.
• Support the Senior Project Manager to develop and deliver a pipeline of projects to meet/exceed the agreed objectives and timescales.
• Undertake line management responsibilities in accordance with business requirements.
• Lead and manage multi-disciplinary project teams in project development and delivery
• Ensure projects are delivered safely, on programme and within budget
• Identify new opportunities and lead the development and delivery of new technology projects
• Improve the processes and procedures within the Senior Project Manager function to ensure greater efficiency, effectiveness and production.
• Drive profitable and sustainable results develop plans, execute, monitor, and follow up to ensure long-term projects are delivered to agreed specifications and H&S and environmental standards.
Promote innovation in all aspects of the delivery of New Technology projects.
• Take proactive lead in promoting learning across projects to continually improve business practices and processes and ensure best practice is shared between projects.
• Lead and recommend appropriate commercial strategies to the Senior Project Manager in a structured and robust manner
• Lead and provide input to all commercial agreements and contracts to ensure Project risks are mitigated.
• Lead and ensure all key decisions are supported by enough due diligence and investigation
• Lead and manage the production of design and build specifications.
• Lead and manage tender assessments and the contract award process.
• Support the Senior Project Manager in establishing the contract strategy and project management processes for the delivery of new technology projects (e.g. batteries, solar, hybrid, life extension, etc.).
• Liaise and coordinate with external suppliers and contractors to ensure delivery specifications are met
• Negotiate and agree interfaces/conditions/leases with key stakeholders in order to facilitate the successful delivery of the projects.
• Manage interfaces between the main contractors (typically primary plant, infrastructure, grid and electrical equipment contractors).
• Successfully resolve contractor claims
• Manage technical advisors/consultants as appropriate
• Review/monitor contractors’ progress against programme and ensure key project milestones
• Manage and hold project budget delivery responsibility for individual projects ensuring budgets are delivered. Deliver the year-on-year capital investment plan for New Technologies.
• Manage a number of major multi-contract renewable energy development and construction projects at one time, with individual capital budgets ranging in value from £5m to £40m
• Manage the process of regular meetings, communications and reports to the Senior Project Manager, which provide accurate and timely information to support their understanding of strategic risks, issues, opportunities, impacts and progress.
• Manage and actively identify all critical risks, issues and impacts of the project specifically the adequate application of and adherence to both statutory and corporate health, safety and environmental requirements.
• Lead the preparation and presentation of investment cases where appropriate.
• Utilise and effectively implement the standard SPR project management tools on all projects and, where applicable, promote and implement new tools/systems to improve the standardisation of SPR project management.
• Manage and ensure all deliverables meet operational requirements.
• At short notice, act upon and deliver ad-hoc projects without losing focus on major ongoing projects.
• Ensure that all projects are closed out effectively and there is a seamless transfer of each project, including all relevant documentation, to the Operations team.
• Participate in lessons learnt sessions to continually improve business practices and processes.
• Liaise and co-ordinate with all relevant internal and external stakeholders.
• Strong internal relationships across ScottishPower Renewables, Scottish Power and the wider the Iberdrola Renewables business.
• Working with the Senior Project Manager to manage the expectations across the business in terms of project schedules and potential delivery.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
• Professional Qualification and relevant degree qualification
• Project Management experience, including onshore renewables preferably solar PV or BESS.
• Track record of successfully leading multi-disciplinary teams in the delivery of large scale
£multi-million projects through development, pre-construction, construction, commissioning to operation transition stages.
• Experience of negotiating and managing detailed commercial contracts.
• Experience and detailed understanding of technical due diligence
• Ability to translate technical detail into commercial impact
• Health & Safety – minimum NEBOSH qualification
• Tenacity, persistence and determination to succeed
• Proactive people manager, leader and motivator.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, operating confidently at senior management level
• Excellent report writing and presentation skills
• Ability to identify and match resources and skills to appropriate project roles
• Ability to communicate effectively with SP Renewables management and with contractors
• High capacity for change and experience of leading others through change.
• Sound planning and analysis skills with the ability to look forward and anticipate problems and thereafter plan and implement mitigating solutions.
• Ability to manage people effectively to deliver required outputs in a timely manner
• Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
• Have the ability to quickly assess the delivery and implementation of potential acquisitions through establishing, defining and programming work activities, cost estimates and key risks to enable a financial appraisal to be made.
• Developed contractual awareness and ability to take the lead on contractual issues and decision making process.