Salary: £53,818 Band E
Hours: Full time or Part time
Benefits: 30 days holiday + 8 bank holidays + 2.5 privilege days + outstanding career average revalued earnings pension scheme + excellent work life balance
Contract Type: Open Ended.
Location: Science and Technology Centre, Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington
Closing date for applications Wednesday 6th March 2024
STFC’s Accelerator Science and Technology Centre (ASTeC) mission is to build the ‘Big Science’ facilities of the future; we design, build and operate particle accelerators and make major contributions to many of the biggest projects in the world today. Based at Daresbury Laboratory, we work with high-profile national and international partners that include the Cockcroft Institute. STFC is part of UKRI, the UK's national organisation for research; we encourage our staff to undertake world-leading work in a diverse and inclusive environment that supports work-life balance.
Are you passionate about science, physics, engineering, computing or a related domain?
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Project Manager to join STFC Accelerator Science and Technology Centre at Daresbury Laboratory to lead cross departmental teams responsible for the delivery of multi-million-pound high impact science and technology projects.
You will be working within the Programmes Group at the Daresbury Laboratory, Cheshire with responsibilities for delivering part of projects within the ASTeC programme. ASTeC projects enable the delivery of domestic and international research outputs.
Candidates must be experienced Project Managers with a proven track record of significant project delivery and excellent technical knowledge in a relevant discipline with a broad understanding of challenging technologies and engineering requirements for science projects.
As an ASTeC Project Manager, you will:
• Be part of an exciting collaborative team delivering an international scientific infrastructure
• Be a pro-active individual, with strong interpersonal skills.
• Work closely with relevant stakeholders (Internal & External) to ensure effective and efficient implementation of project(s).
• Be able to draw on your technical knowledge/skills/experience to deliver project results.
• Be a key member of the programs group contributing to continuous improvement of project management in ASTeC
• Be highly motivated and passionate about the work you do
• Be comfortable being responsible for key aspects of delivery on multi-million-pound projects
• Have demonstrable enthusiasm for our projects and strong desire to take ownership of delivery of technical aspects
Tasks you will be required to do:
• Support the delivery of complex technical projects whilst being responsible for managing selected key deliverables,
• Deliver project management plans and schedules,
• Work in conjunction with line managers to identify resources and assign responsibilities.
• Manage day-to-day operational aspects of the project(s) including resolution of complex/difficult problems.
• Contribute to project management tool development in the department,
• Monitor expenditures; analysing variances, earned value management (EVM) and schedule performance monitoring.
• Prepare project status reports for the project team,
• Actively engage in the change control process, feeding into overall project governance necessary to meet both STFC and customer project management requirements.
• Promote and role model Health & Safety within the STFC H&S codes and policies.
• Use computer systems for planning, communicating and purchasing.
• Formal qualification in Project Management e.g. APMP or Prince 2
• HNC/HND/Degree in a relevant engineering discipline because of the technical nature of the project delivery model or substantive equivalent technical engineering project management experience .
• Have up-to-date knowledge of formal project management methodology, controls and processes, and experience working on engineering or research projects.
• Demonstrate enthusiasm for our projects and an ability to take ownership for delivery of technical aspects
• Demonstrate excellent stakeholder management and communications skills, including report writing and presenting
• Demonstrate analytical skills to effectively work with project and financial data
• Have a strong safety culture and knowledge of how to work safely.
• Have strong computer skills and be experienced in the use of MS Office.
• Be willing and able to travel/work within the UK and overseas as required.
• Be prepared to work flexibly to meet specific deadlines.
• Ability to execute tasks independently, yet work collaboratively within a team
• Have a proactive approach to continuous improvement, both personally and professionally
• Understand different project management techniques and processes.
• Experience to manage internal staff and contractors.
What we will offer you:
Alongside an excellent working environment and comprehensive continued professional development, STFC offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance. This includes;
30 days leave plus public holidays (pro rata)
An outstanding career average revalued earnings pension scheme
Flexible working hours
We are committed to sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are invested in creating an environment that is welcoming and supportive of all, to help us achieve the highest possible standards in our work and organisation together. In this regard, we encourage applications from under-represented groups.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.
About The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
As one of Europe’s largest research organisations, we ask the biggest questions in the universe to find answers that change the world around us. We seek understanding. We’re proud of the impact we make. And we’re committed to helping build a globally competitive, knowledge-based UK economy. Being part of all this means contributing to work that pushes boundaries and creates possibilities. You’ll work with, and learn from, true experts. Whatever your role, you’ll be free to question, and encouraged to share ideas. And, in a positive and supportive culture, you’ll discover just what a difference you can make when you’re equipped and inspired to excel.
We’re a place where curious minds thrive. Not bound by profit, we explore ideas that others don’t, ask questions that others won’t, and discover answers that others are not equipped to find. And, alongside Mars landings and black holes, we also explore diverse, international projects in everything from science and engineering to computing and technology. Whether it’s at the cutting edge or behind the scenes, our work is intellectually challenging. It’s very often ground-breaking. And it’s endlessly, irresistibly fascinating.
For more information about STFC please visit https://stfc.ukri.org/
You can also visit our careers site https://www.stfccareers.co.uk/
About UK Research Innovation (UKRI)
UKRI is an organisation that brings together the seven disciplinary research councils, Research England and Innovate UK. Together, we build an independent organisation with a strong voice and vision ensuring the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Supporting some of the world’s most exciting and challenging research projects, we develop and operate some of the most remarkable scientific facilities in the world. We are pushing the frontiers of human knowledge through fundamental research and delivering benefits for UK society and the economy through world-class research, skills and business-led innovation.
More information can be found at www.ukri.org.
Choosing to come to work at UKRI means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme, excellent holiday entitlement, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme. For more details, visit benefits of working for UKRI.
The role holder will be required to have the appropriate level of security screening/vetting required for the role. UKRI reserves the right to run or re-run security clearance as required during the course of employment.
How we support EDI in the workforce
At UKRI, we believe that everyone has a right to be treated with dignity and respect, and to be provided with equal opportunities to thrive and succeed in an environment that enables them to do so. We also value diversity of thought and experience within inclusive groups, organisations and the wider community. For further information, please visit ‘How we support EDI in the workforce’.
Disability Confident Employer
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
How to apply
Online applications only preferred for this role. Please submit a CV and covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation for UKRI and the role. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit an application without a covering letter may result in the application not being considered. Assessment will only be based upon the content of your submitted covering letter and CV and not the ‘experience’ section of the application.
UKRI seeks to ensure it creates and maintains a system of openness, fairness and inclusion – a collaborative, trusted environment, which is attractive to and accessible to everyone who is interested in developing their career with us.