Purpose of the role
The Project Manager will lead multiple technical product development programs ensuring delivery to time, cost and specification/quality whilst managing risk
Key responsibilities and tasks
Establish project plans and forecasts
- Generate project estimates and plans in conjunction with sales, production, engineering, commercial and finance departments
- Agree project objectives and requirements and establish constraints with stakeholders; and capture all essential information in agreed project initiation documents
- Develop accurate and realistic project plans that are accepted by the user
- Break down the plan into suitably sized work packages with associated earned value and cost estimates
- Identify project dependencies and the critical path
- Define deliverable resource requirements and work plans
Manage delivery of project to plan
- Ensure project delivery, working within a structured and methodical project management approach and managing project dependencies and the critical path.
- Lead any remedial action plans to address project delivery failures.
- Track project delivery against set targets and milestones.
- Anticipate problems and constraints, and recommend solutions, appropriately balancing between project quality, cost & delivery goals and exercising appropriate judgment in escalation of issues.
- Identify resource needs and eliminate or minimize resource conflicts
- Co-ordinate priorities and task allocation in order to adhere to the plan
- Identify potential project risks, develop appropriate mitigation plans and execute as necessary.
- Issue resolution / improvements with suppliers, in conjunction with supply chain specialists.
Track and report progress against plan and maintain project documentation
- Issue activity plan to project team and monitor adherence to plan
- Maintain up to date master project plan, Tracking project milestones and deliverability
- Update project status (schedule, costs, issues, risks)
- Communicate project progress and performance to all stakeholders, including end customers, and ensure alignment in understanding of project progress to completion
- Compile ongoing forecast of future project activity and cost to completion
- Ensure all Life Cycle Management requirements are met.
- Maintain complete and accurate records and comply with all company regulations and standards
- Maintain project history and organise project wrap-up meeting to capture lessons for continuous improvement
- Ensure protection of intellectual property
Build and maintain a positive relationship with the client
- Act as the main customer interface and ensure customer satisfaction for all assigned programs.
- Manage appropriate communications to maintain client relationship and confidence in
- Maintain full records of all correspondence and meeting outcomes with client
- Identify potential future project/ revenue opportunities with the customer where possible
Build an effective project delivery team
- Build, motivate and lead a team to deliver the project. Team members will not report direct to the post holder and will have other projects which may conflict.
- Chair regular project team meetings to monitor project progress and issue resolution
- Providing inputs to performance evaluations of project team members
Other project responsibilities
- Assist with the development of the project management and bid management processes working with the process leads
- Carry out any other ad-hoc duties as required supporting the needs of the business.
- Provide a professional backup service for colleagues during peak times or during absence.
- Follow company procedures, standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain continuous professional development to ensure knowledge is up to date.
- Act as an ambassador for the company in all interactions with customers and the public.
- Carrying out any other ad-hoc duties as required to support the needs of the business.
- Working and/or visiting various sites, as required, for short periods, which may involve absence from home.
- Maintaining a continuous professional development to ensure knowledge is up to date.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- Educated to degree standard in an engineering discipline
- Experience of leading projects to a successful conclusion through focus on product development, production and delivery
- Experience at working within all levels internally and externally
- Confident user of Microsoft suite, able to manipulate and analyse data within Excel to intermediate standard
- Strong presentation skills, confident speaker and professionally presented in order to communicate effectively with a diverse client group and produce succinct correspondence
- Proven track record of project management in a R&D environment
- Experience within a lean manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of ISO9000 or a similar QA system
- Previous experience of an electronic MRP and accounts system, preferably Operations & Opera
- Knowledge of BS.8888 drawing practices
- Experience of working within a Defence environment
- Formal project management qualifications
Role travel requirements
- Some travel to other TP group offices in the UK may occasionally be required.
- Candidates must have an existing right to live and work in the UK
- Candidates must have passed UK security clearance to Security Check level or be able to obtain