Project Manager – Software Development
We are looking for a talented Project Manager with a background in science, technology or engineering and experience of successfully managing projects involving software development, ideally within an R&D environment. You should have a good technical awareness to be able to work within an R&D setting where deliverables may be unknown at the start of the engagement. The role could be based at either our Abingdon or Stevenage offices.
As a Project Manager in Tessella, you will have a varied, challenging and rewarding role. You will shape and drive projects through the full project lifecycle, often from the pre-sales stage, fulfilling our clients’ needs and exceeding their expectations. Depending on the project, your activities will include business analysis, requirements capture, technical guidance, etc.
- Plan, control and execute projects including risk management, change control processes and documentation.
- Successfully manage relevant stakeholders (internal and external) to ensure completion of project tasks within planned timescales and budgets to produce a solution that will delight our clients.
- Maintain and develop excellent professional relationships.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of complex technical systems and processes, with the ability to work with senior technical staff to help analyse and architect software and technical solutions.
- Undertake and/or support requirements analysis activities and feed back to the client in a way that moves their understanding forward.
- Provide effective leadership to the project team to ensure the development of high quality solutions.
- Provide active line management to staff (who are all first-class data scientists and consultants, many of whom have PhDs), ensuring that we continue to provide the challenging and stimulating careers they enjoy at Tessella.
Our projects range from complex computing and analytical challenges through to modelling, simulation and technical consultancy. Many of our projects involve big data and analytics, helping clients to better understand and make use of their data to improve their processes and enable better-informed business decisions. Other projects involve more traditional software development, creating bespoke applications to solve specific R&D challenges for our clients.
To succeed in this role, you should have:
- BSc, MSc or PhD in science, mathematics or engineering.
- A proven track record of successful project management, ideally including the delivery of fixed price projects.
- An understanding of agile and V software development lifecycles and experience of managing software development projects.
- Ideally project management certification (e.g. PRINCE2, PMI or APM).
- Line management experience.
- Experience of hands-on software development, analytics or data science would be an advantage.
Our Culture and Benefits
We are proud of our culture, where a positive attitude, supportive colleagues and commitment to continuous learning are all valued. The wellbeing and engagement of all staff is our priority and we work in a collaborative environment with a good work-life balance. We offer an excellent salary and benefits package including a profit-sharing scheme, non-contributory pension and a range of flexible benefits, which staff can tailor to fit their needs. We also support flexible working requests where possible.
Tessella is the Analytics World Class Center of the Altran Group, a global leader in innovation and high-tech engineering consulting. We are leaders in the field of data science and analytics and we have developed a reputation for helping clients solve their most complex technical challenges by unlocking the power of their data, enabling them to make better-informed business decisions.
Our work is at the cutting-edge of high-tech R&D and our projects are varied and rewarding. For example, in pharmaceutical companies we solve computational problems for chemists at the early stages of drug discovery and development, allowing them to get a head start when they begin their experiments in the lab, ultimately getting drugs to market faster. We help consumer goods companies model and simulate new product ideas and perform data analysis to improve their processes. We also support oil and gas engineers with the computational challenges of exploration and production, from reservoir modelling to writing control systems. In space and defence, we have written algorithms and solved complex mathematical problems to control satellites and radar systems.