Project Support Officer
Salary: Up to £26,000 per annum (dependant on experience)
Full-time: 37 hours per week
Location: County Hall, Chelmsford
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC are now entering a new phase of change where we are seeking to further enhance customer focus, service design and programme delivery.
As part of ECC’s recent Organisational Design process we have created the ‘Delivery and Service Design’ Deirectorate. We now have a number of exciting opportunities for project professionals experienced in both agile and waterfall methodologies. As Delivery and Service Design, we aim to grow the use of agile methodologies across the council, so the ideal candidates for both the Delivery Manager and Project Manager roles will be experienced in multiple project approaches.
The Project Support Officers covers a diverse range of activities to support the delivery of a project or programme’s objectives. The role is key to the effective and efficient operation of all projects, by supporting the project manager with day-to-day project management processes and the co-ordination of business management actions and activities.
An experienced, methodical and structured administrator, able to engage with a diverse group of individuals at all levels, who will add value to the operational effectiveness of the team. This role will offer the opportunity to develop by building knowledge of the project management function and evidencing a curious and innovative approach in supporting others.
Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following
• Support the project teams by maintaining appropriate systems to ensure effective planning and scheduling of projects.
• Support the team by assisting them in maintaining project controls and producing project reports to ensure adequate and regular monitoring of project progress.
• Responsible for project file management using robust version control and organising project boards and meetings, together with providing support to ensure efficient operation of projects day to day.
• Supports the project teams by being a main point of contact for project responses to external requests for information and engaging with both internal and external contacts.
• Supports the teams by monitoring project spend and contribute to the compilation of budget updates whilst also ensuring updates of other tasks, such as, maintaining risk and issue logs and clearly documenting decisions.
• Supports the team by sharing any insights or escalating issues to ensure Projects Managers are kept up to date.
• Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Educated to GCSE or equivalent by experience
• Evidence of continuing professional development and knowledge in relevant professional area.
• Experience and evidence of working in a project support role in a large, complex organisation
• Curious and inspired to work in an agile environment where you can learn and develop
• Experience of engaging with others to build good working relationships and communicating effectively
• Experience of working with a broad range of individuals at different levels within the organisation and engaging with them.
• Experience of working within a political environment with knowledge of a public sector setting and involvement in a large, complex environment
• Evidence of adopting a structured and planned approach
(Qualification certificates should be brought to interview).
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://(url removed)/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://(url removed)/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.