Head of Operations
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a motivated group of entrepreneurs and professionals with a diverse range of backgrounds all the way from the medical industry to the music business, all with unique skills we bring to the job.
The Health Pooled Fund 3 (HPF3) will start in August 2018 until 2023 and will be supported by the British Government’s Department for International Development (DFID), the Government of Canada, the European Union, the Swedish International Development and Cooperation Agency (SIDA) and United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
HPF will support delivery of essential primary health care, secondary health care and referral health services at the national, state, county and facility/community levels. It will be implemented in eight state hubs of South Sudan’s formerly known as: Eastern Equatoria, Central Equatoria, Western Equatoria, Northern Bahr el Ghazal, Western Bahr el Ghazal, Warrap, Unity and Lakes.
HPF’s overall goal is to reduce maternal and children under five years old mortality, ensuring universal coverage, and improving the overall health status as well as the quality of life of the South Sudanese population. Its overarching objectives are:
Improved health and nutrition services for the population, especially women and children;
Improved community engagement and accountability of health services;
Stabilisation of local health systems.
To attain these objectives, the HPF team is responsible for the following work streams:
- Management of the HPF fund, IPs and support to the HPF steering committees;
- Ensuring continuity of and support to service delivery, with a focus on improving quality;
- Management of fiduciary risk associated with use of donor funds;
- Development of and support to the implementation of a nutrition component, integrated within the health services delivery and health systems strengthening work streams; and
- Procurement of essential medicines.
- In country distribution of essential drugs
The Head of Operations will be responsible for ensuring the effective operational implementation of the project under the guidance and supervision of the Team Leader, including direct line management the of supply chain manager, HR manager and Operations and Security Manager.
The Head of Operation will also ensure effective operations support to the project team (led by the Team Leader). This includes logistics, risk management, reporting, course correction where required, project reviews and closure. This may include travel as requested and regular contact with national and international partners.
Activities and tasks
The Head of Operations will ensure that the efficiently running, security, distribution and operation of logistics of the project are contributing to the implementation of the HPF. The Head of Operation will contribute to the achievement of all work streams under HPF. Key responsibilities include, among others, the following:
- Ensure the efficient operational logistics of the project
- Lead the improvement of working practices in all aspects of operations management
- Handle all day-to-day management of project logistics, including HR, security monitoring, supply chain oversight and information reporting.
- Ensure all HR procedures are in line with South Sudanese law and that performance management systems are well understood and utilized by line managers and staff. Make sure timesheets are available, completed correctly and submitted on time.
- Liaise with the Deputy Team Leader and partners to schedule STTA inputs according to the project plan, as well as liaising with experts and administrative staff to plan all travel and security measures.
- Work with the Team Leader and Finance Director to manage existing suppliers and select new ones through competitive solicitations and direct negotiations and interface with key executives on supplier issues.
- Oversee procurement of office equipment, including IT, furniture and fixtures and any project-related procurements and record keeping
- Maintain relationship with landlord(s) and/or office building management.
- Ensure there is a proper inventory of all project property by working closely with the asset and grant specialist.
- Lead on the development of the project operational, security, travel, administrative and logistic policies and strategies
- Oversee the security planning of the project and work with Security on the Evacuation and Medical Evacuation SoPs
- Ensure that all administrative procedures are of the highest quality
- Ensure compliance with all Head office and client contractual policies and procedures
- Create and maintain a filing system for the office and help train Administrative Officers to create and maintain it.
- Assist in creating and maintaining up-to-date administrative records, including but not limited to non-expandable equipment and furniture inventories; insurance policies; contracts and purchase orders with vendors; suppliers, and subcontractors; procurement files; and vehicle ownership.
- Manage and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Support Services (HR, IT and others), through improvements to each function as well as coordination and communication between the supports, and programme functions.
- Participate in weekly and quarterly project planning sessions with the Team Leader and relevant team members to ensure project progress and knowledge of all implementation issues.
- Fill in for the Team Leader when/as requested
- Any other management/administrative tasks deemed necessary by the Team Leader or requested by Project Team
- Ensure that the evacuation Plan is working correctly, Ensure that the UK head Office is also linked to the Plan at the same time the various Consortium Partners SOPs are also taken into account when writing the various SOPs.
- Work closely with the Field Coordinator to ensure that the correct support and supply chain is in place for the Project Coordinators and Project Support Officers in the 8 Former States.
- Ensure that the Fleet Management of all HPF programme vehicles is correct and that the monthly returns are kept upto date and signed off accordingly with regards to fuel.
Line Management and Reporting
The Head of Operation will have open and effective lines of communication with the rest of the HPF team. The HR Manager, Security Manager and the Supply Chain Manager will report directly to the Head of Operations. Specific tasks include:
- Supervise the overall project security, & logistics staff and the management of the supply chain team, which sits in off site in another location
- Ensure that personnel policies and procedures are followed by all employees
- Copy the Team Leader and the Project Director in any email communication relating to major financial or contracting aspects of the HPF.
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned by the immediate supervisor
What are we looking for?
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience; with minimum five years management experience in a developing country;
- Masters degree in Business and Administration, Operations Management or other relevant area desirable;
- Strong understanding of complex development programmes in developing countries;
- Strong understanding and proven experience of working with different donors and familiarity with their policies and requirements;
- Experience of operations management at a senior level with the INGO sector;
- Excellent narrative and finance reporting analysis skills;
- Experience of managing and mentoring large teams and drive them to achieve their full potential and the project’s outcomes;
- Proactive and flexible with the ability to multi-task
- Excellent experience of working in multicultural and diversified environments.
- Familiarity with the international donor community;
- Experience working in fragile states and/or situations of political sensitivity;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and cultural sensitivity
- References will be required
Note: This is an unaccompanied Post and is contingent on funding
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status