NPL is the UK`s National Measurement Institute providing the measurement expertise that underpins UK prosperity and quality of life. From unhackable quantum communications and superfast 5G to antibiotic alternatives and more effective cancer diagnosis/treatments; technological advances must be built on a foundation of reliable measurement to succeed. Building on over a century`s worth of expertise, NPL`s science, engineering and technology makes this possible.
NPL is a world-leading research facility, bringing together scientists and engineers from almost every field to help save lives, protect the environment and enable citizens to feel safe and secure as well as support global trade and innovation.
This is an exciting opportunity for a proactive project manager to lead the delivery a number of NPL’s most demanding projects (of the largest scale, highest commercial sensitivity and technical complexity, with organisational-level risk).
NPL’s portfolio of projects align with four priority growth sectors essential to the delivery of the UK government’s Industrial Strategy: Advanced Manufacturing, Digital (including Quantum Technologies), Energy & Environment, and Life Sciences & Health. This role will initially focus on project managing the establishment of a new facility of critical importance to the business, but the successful candidate will ultimately be expected to project manage multiple high-risk projects across NPL.
Essential experience and abilities
- Strong track record of successfully leading and managing multiple large, high-risk projects for a range of stakeholders
- Experience of pulling together senior management across a business to deliver success
- Ability to define the scope, baseline and deliverables of highly complex projects through interactions with senior external and internal stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the business
- Ability to understand and navigate the political landscape to ensure that delivery meets the customer’s requirements and expectations
- Experience of working within, and driving improvements through, a Project Management Office (PMO) environment
- A proven track record of successful people management
- Ability to travel both outside and within the UK
- Health and safety awareness
Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Background
- Experience of successfully managing projects to establish major facilities would be beneficial
- Proficient in utilising and applying a number of project management methodologies
- APM Project Management Qualification or equivalent
- Proficient in Microsoft Project
- Ideally educated to degree or equivalent level
NPL has a regional footprint with hubs around the UK, plans for international growth and a state-of-the art purpose-built laboratory in Teddington, south west London, where its scientists and engineers work with leading edge equipment and facilities.
In line with significant organisational growth and transformation plans, NPL has a clear vision "to be an exemplary National Laboratory that undertakes excellent science and engineering and uses this to deliver extraordinary impact for the UK". We also clearly define our mission "to provide the measurement capability that underpins the UK`s prosperity and quality of life"
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant and free parking.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Practitioner.