Project Portfolio Controller
Ramboll UK have an exciting vacancy for a Project Portfolio Controller, providing you with a great opportunity to develop your career in a leading engineering, design and consultancy company. Ramboll UK is part of a growing global business working on a wide range of engineering projects supporting sustainable solutions in markets including Buildings, Transport, Environment and Health, Water, Energy, and Management Consulting. Come on board with this great team and be part of our future success.
Building on your exisiting people management skills, you’ll lead the South project controlling team of 6 direct reports, whilst managing the financial and commercial aspects of a wide range of projects. With currently circa 500 live projects on the go with a total project value of £78m, you’ll be someone used to working relatively autonomously, always on the look out for improvement opportunities to ultimately drive improved project performance. To thrive in this role, you’ll use your initiative and flexibility to question inefficient ways of working, while motivating your team to positively challenge and grow in this highly rewarding business.
The key focus areas of the role include:
- Project Commercial Impact. With your strong background in commercial or project accountiing, you’ll drive improvement in project performance by challenging the project managers, partnering with the department directors and increasing the commercial ability of your team across the Transport and E&H markets.
- People leadership and development. As the Project Portfolio Controller, you’ll lead the South project coordinator team (6 direct reports), setting direction, maintaining quality standards, and developing and supporting the talent to deliver greater commercial value.
- Continuous improvement. You’ll take an active lead in the identification and implementation of improvement initiatives to drive out non value add tasks and improve project outcomes. Working closely with your peers, you’ll build the commercial knowledge across the UK business in this amazing opportunity to shape the team for the future.
Skills and Requirements:
- Effective communication and leadership skills: You’ll be confident in communicating with all levels and disciplines, not afraid to positively challenge, a good listener, with empathy, showing respect to people and their ideas in line with Ramboll’s strong values.
- People management and development: You’ll have proven experience successfully managing and motivating teams as well as supporting the individual’s personal development.
- Financial qualification: You’ll be preferably CIMA qualified, with at least 5 year project accounting or commercial experience.
- Excel skills: Intermediate, with experience using VLOOKUPS and PIVOTS.
- Travel: Some element of travel will be required in order to provide visibility within the business and hands-on support to regional offices.
(Note: Internally the role is recognised as a Project Controller.)
Scope of project engagement:
- Finance & commercial input in bidding
- Customer vetting
- Sub-consultant vetting
- Commercial terms review
- Margins & risk
- Quote time & how managed
- Identify and stop bad behaviour (opportunistic bidding)
- Cash-flow optimisation
- Governance – valid order capable of being accepted
- Validation of Order Received booking
- Work Breakdown Structure & discipline
- Efficient project administration – Cost to complete, provisions etc.
- Effective project controlling – Risk / opportunity management of the portfolio, explanations / commentary on deviations
- Challenge for margin improvement (India, efficiency, digital tools)
- Capture variations
- Working Capital
- Hold Project Managers & Project Owners to account – Project reviews, Commercial reviews
- System housekeeping
- Capture variations & ensure Settlements completed
- Final account
- Claims managed & closed
What we offer
- Competitive salary and benefits package including 25 days holidays, private medical insurance, life assurance and group income protection. In addition, we offer a comprehensive flexible benefits package including childcare vouchers, gym membership, dental insurance, cycle to work scheme, travel insurance, discounts in a vast range of restaurants and shops and many more!
- Excellent career growth and development opportunities
- Be part of a dynamic, expanding team within the UK
- A vibrant and inspiring culture, based on innovation and flexibility
Please note that unfortunately we are not able to process incomplete applications.
You must have eligibility to work in the UK.
Ramboll is an equal opportunity employer.