Technical Collaboration Manager x 2
The Energy Systems Catapult supports innovators in unleashing opportunities from the transition to a clean, intelligent energy system.
Part of a network of world-leading centres set up by the government to transform the UK’s capability for innovation in specific sectors and help drive future economic growth. By taking an independent, whole energy systems view, we work with stakeholders across the energy sector (consumers, industry, academia and government) to identify innovation priorities, gaps in the market and overcome barriers to accelerating the decarbonisation of the energy system at least cost. In doing so, we seek to open routes to market for innovators, as well as supporting them to understand how their products, services and value propositions fit into the transforming energy system.
The successful candidate will take responsibility for specific projects within the Energy Systems Catapult (ESC). The project portfolio is diverse and includes technology, commercial market and business value proposition development activities in the context of multi energy vector solutions.
Background to this Opportunity
As part of the Systems Integration or Infrastructure & Engineering team, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on a variety of programmes and contribute to engineering excellence across the ESC.
The role is to provide identification, management, strategic guidance and delivery of new leads and opportunities for the Systems Integration or Infrastructure & Engineering team, helping to secure both public and private funding for the development of our unique assets and capabilities, and lead the dissemination and exploitation of project outputs, assets, and services to internal and external customers.
Examples of the types of work that we do include: subject matter research, feasibility studies, technical and planning studies, modelling and simulation studies, data acquisition, analysis and reporting, proof of concept studies, consultations, tests and demonstrations, solution and technology advice, training and education, amongst others. The role requires that you understand or can learn what this work involves at a technical level to ensure that new leads and opportunities are aligned.
The role requires effective communication to support project planning and execution, bid support and management, stakeholder engagement (particularly the Small and Medium sized Enterprise (SME) and academic community) as well as forming collaborative relationships.
The role is critical for ensuring successful development of our capability and implementation of best practice. The successful candidate will be working with project teams and external partners to help build a portfolio of meaningful assets that support the delivery of our business strategy.
- Secure public and private funding for the development of relevant assets and capabilities
- Engage with relevant energy sectors to promote/sell assets and capabilities and communicate key project outputs
- Develop and leverage collaborative relationships to ensure successful project delivery with a range of organisations covering both public and private sector, large multinational corporations to SMEs, and academic establishments to individual researchers
- Support the successful delivery of new business development, project planning and execution.
- Develop detailed understanding of assets/capabilities that are available within the Systems Integration or Infrastructure & Engineering team
- Create plans for proactive deployment of research projects and collaborative partnerships
- Establish and maintain resource plans for live and pipeline projects to ensure a current view is always available of levels of resource commitment and develop/apply principles for how resources can be allocated
- Clearly define projects up to mandate/business case, including:
- Questions that will be answered by the work
- Benefits to ESC/Assets/wider stakeholders
- The assets capability/capacity to deliver.
- Timescales, costs, budgets, resources
- Provide a consultative approach to clients by helping them to scope out projects to develop clear definition and benefits which can be easily measured
- Provide draft bid material utilizing knowledge of assets, capabilities and areas of technical competence
- Manage relationships with third parties to ensure scope, deliverable's, benefits, timescales, budget and quality criteria are clearly agreed and monitored
- Maintain close relationship with client and stakeholders to ensure that they are aware of project progress. Ensure value adding opportunities are identified and exploited to ensure delivery
- Conduct lessons learnt for rejected projects and work to implement recommendations
- Conduct lessons learnt at project conclusion and work with to ensure recommendations are implemented
- Support the administration of the CRM (Customer Relationship Management) tool
What credentials are we ideally looking for?
- Experience in consulting, product management, innovation or similar role in a technical, economic or consumer environment
- Proven track record in initiating and establishing successful business partnerships/ relationships across the public and/or private sector that have subsequently been converted to real projects/sales. Please note: The successful applicant will be engaging with a range of stakeholders from senior leadership level downwards
- Able to work with clients and partners to understand their requirements and shape work to create value-adding insights
- An understanding of public funding processes and experience of grant application preparation (experience of the EU funding processes desirable)
- Interpretation and evaluation of a range of complex technical and commercial information from various sources
- Able to adapt to change in demands and requirements across a range of disciplines including markets, technology, business, policy, regulation, consumers, etc.
- Capable of working within an innovative environment, being able to balance project control with the need to let innovation thrive
- Familiar with mainstream Project Management methodology
- Organised with the ability to plan and manage their time across a range of projects
- Follow, and where appropriate manage and improve relevant processes and tools
- Strong presentation, facilitation and communication skills
- A can-do attitude, able to work with limited supervision under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and ability to work effectively in line with changing priorities
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent.
Would you like to Apply?
The closing date for applications is Sunday 6th January 2019
Please note that at this time we are unable to provide UK visa sponsorship.
The Energy Systems Catapult undertakes innovative and exciting work that will help shape the future of energy, with this in mind we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible, as we do reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
(Strictly No Agencies).
"We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of race, sex, disability, religion and belief, sexual orientation, or status regarding gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity."