Senior Project Manager
Main Duties and Responsibilities: Takes responsibility for the definition; documentation and safe execution of a single major project or a number of smaller initiatives; actively participating in all phases of the project. Identifies; assesses and manages risks to the success of the project. Effectively estimates costs; timescales and resource requirements for the successful delivery of the project(s) to agreed terms of reference. Ensures that realistic project and quality plans are prepared and maintained and tracks all activities against the plan; providing regular and accurate reports to stakeholders; as appropriate. Monitors and forecasts costs; timescales and resources used; and takes action where these deviate from agreed tolerances. Ensures that delivered systems are implemented within these criteria. Manages the change control procedure; ensures that change is captured; impact assessed and approved and ensures that project deliverables are completed within planned cost; timescale and resource budgets; and are signed off. Gains agreement for revisions to the project(s) from project sponsors. Provides effective leadership to the project team ensuring that team members are motivated and developing their skills and experience. Takes appropriate action where performance deviates from agreed tolerances. Actively represents the project team; ensuring that effective relationships are built and maintained with the business. Ensures that own projects are formally closed and; where appropriate; subsequently reviewed; and that lessons learned are captured and actioned. Produces appropriate documentation to support these processes.
- 2% Occasional travel to (arranged in advance)
- - Home Office offices in Liverpool
- - Home Office offices in Manchester
- (DDaT will refer to this role as ‘Programme Manager’)
- Role Based Engagements Only -Requirement for weekend/ out of hours working
- There may be a requirement to cover an out-of-hours rota for support. This will be arranged with the candidate as required.
- It will be required that the candidate work with the Network Manager to achieve the knowledge transfer of projects from the exiting team in the South East, to the incoming team in the North West. This will include gaining information from existing contractors in the South East, delivering technical aspects in the North West and then achieving a successful transition of knowledge to the new Permanent staff, which will be appointed from early 2019.
- Drive the delivery of new infrastructure services for the Home Office by running and managing the resources to meet the specified business need.
- The creation of high quality, timely and accurate project documentation which expresses to stakeholders the actual position on the project.
- The management of contractors based in South East, ensuring clear reporting and accountability for deliverables across the team.
The main responsibilities of the post are:
- Complete Project Plans, programme reports, RAID logs, Issue and Risk reports, budget statements and cost models to the standard and methodology required by the Home Office.
- Manage a team of specialist engineers to deliver new network and infrastructure services and ensure integration with existing estate.
- Assess and prioritise delivery plan with team resources
- Prepare audit and management response reports as required by the Home Office.
- Experience working in Government or large and highly regulated environments.
- Over 10 years’ experience in an architectural or senior network engineering role
- Experience working in a complex organisation including working directly with a variety and range of non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience in managing major Network or Data centre engineering and transformation projects.
- Experience of project management of +1M investment.
- Delivery of complex, technology transformation in either a Data Centre or a Network capacity.
- PRINCE2 and MSP or equivalent project management qualification.
- Broad understanding of Government Security Policy Framework.
- Experience at working at HIGHER than government Official classification
- Experience in developing and delivering Agile project methodology.
- Practical experience of Service Now integration
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE required
- One of: Prince2, Managing Successful Programme, Management of Risk Certification or equivalent
- BSc or equivalent experience
- Experience of delivering projects into secure environments for large government or highly regulated organisations.