PMIP Project Manager
We are looking for someone to proactively manage a portfolio of business assets through the cross-functional Site Identification to Site Start (SI-SS) process from land offer acceptance through to effective production hand-over for a portfolio of projects in the Business Unit.
The Project Manager, leading a project delivery team and supported by a standardised best practice SI-SS process, project management toolkit and role-specific project management training, will help to ensure that projects are handed over within agreed forecast timeframes, to a defined quality as demanded by our customers and to financial measures acceptable to Taylor Wimpey, whilst adhering to Taylor Wimpey Health, Safety and Environmental standards and policies and wider legislative constraints.
The Project Manager will be supported by a cross-functional team with named individuals from each function allocated by the relevant Functional Directors. The Project Manager will deliver each project through the matrix-managed cross-functional team and will work directly with the project team members to build a team ethos and focus on the goals to successfully deliver projects.
Taylor Wimpey is a FTSE 100 business and one of the largest residential developers in the UK, building new homes and communities across England, Scotland and Wales.
Our vision is to become the UK’s leading residential developer for creating value and delivering quality. We build over 10,000 homes each year, from one-bedroom apartments to six-bedroom houses all across the country.
Our people are passionate about the house building industry and about our customers. Culturally we pride ourselves in having a diverse work force with an opportunity to grow a career in a variety of environments. We look to develop our people in the skills and areas they are most interested in so if you are looking to join a thriving company going through an exciting period then please get in touch.
Experience, Qualifications, Technical Requirements, Education:
Proven track record of project delivery to defined time, cost and quality parameters
Strong knowledge of, and genuine interest in, Project Management and the application of Best Practice, having already achieved or with the desire to achieve APM PMQ or equivalent
High-level awareness and understanding of a typical end-to-end housebuilding process from identifying land opportunity through to delivery of units
Excellent communication skills, with the ability to work in a functionally impartial manner in a multi-disciplinary environment
Previous experience in managing people, processes and timescales, capable of developing a strong team ethos and motivating others
Willing to challenge the status quo and Business Unit Management Team, show persistence in getting to the root cause of a problem and delivering solutions
Highly motivated in organising self and teams, with strong prioritization skills
Forward-thinking and capable of adapting to specific project circumstances
Able to create and manage timeline schedules (programmes), in particular identifying and managing the critical path
Excellent risk awareness (quality, timing, financial, HS&E) and strong awareness of the important of HS&E aspects associated with projects
- Lead, motivate and coordinate cross-functional project teams, promoting a clear focus on delivering quality sites within time and cost constraints
- Ensure cross-functional project team members understand their role and responsibilities and what is expected of them
- Promote/encourage a ‘no surprises’ attitude to/from all those involved in project delivery
- Ensure team dynamics are strong. Advise management team where specific improvements can be made to improve the project team’s performance, and empower team to deliver
- Promote and support awareness of, and adherence to, Taylor Wimpey Health, Safety and Environmental standards and policies
Project planning and monitoring
- Complete Project planning for entire project and for individual stages to include (but not limited to): defining project scope, tracking KPIs, scheduling (programme) including milestones and critical path, quality objectives, managing project-level risk and issues, stakeholder management, project resourcing (internal and external team)
- Monitor performance versus the above plans and update/refine through the project to ensure on track and to proactively address variances identified which may impact project timescales, financials, health, safety & the environment or quality
- Manage control of scope changes versus agreed baseline (impacting time/cost/quality) to ensure fully informed decisions are made
- During all stages of all sites within portfolio in the pre-development phase, be fully cognisant of project status, key risks and critical path at any point in time
- Escalate issues and risks which cannot be resolved promptly to Project Sponsor or Functional director when success of the project may be impacted
Project reviews/status meetings
- Report on overall status of project(s) within portfolio to Project Sponsor, Business Unit Directors
- Lead regular project team status reviews to monitor performance and support effective project communication, team focus and alignment
- Ensure attendees complete their tasks in readiness for effective/efficient review meetings
- Co-ordinate and manage project meetings in a timely and efficient manner, ensuring all relevant action points are noted, recorded and followed-up
- Manage the pre-distribution of information and taking of minutes from all meetings together with updated documentation such as programmes and status reports
Lessons learned and project handover
- Prompt the use of lessons learned from previous projects and drive the capturing of lessons learned from current project
- Make sure that an effective handover takes place to the assigned Production Manager at site start
- Conduct a post-site start review of actual versus planned performance across the SI-SS scope and identify/document and share lessons learned. Produce report to document and share this