HIG02I Capital Programme Development Specialist
Your new role
Reporting to the Programme Development Team Leader, you will join a key team responsible for developing a robust programme for the delivery of Highways Capital schemes within the South West region. As an individual, you will actively contribute to the development and coordination of the South West Operations Five-year Investment Plan.
Using your excellent programme management skills, you will actively engage with internal and external stakeholders (e.g. engineering, design, delivery, supply chain teams etc.) supporting the development and approval of options for the forward programme. This includes facilitating the assessment of proposed solutions considering costs and benefits to ensure we develop and manage a programme that delivers value for money and is prioritised to ensure our assets are appropriately managed.
With your background experience you will understand how to develop this programme in line with business objectives, and within funding and delivery constraints.
This is an exciting time to join us. Highways England is growing, and our funding is expected to increase, which means our Capital Investment Plan is likely to extend into the next 10 years and beyond. As well as professional development and an excellent insight into the highways infrastructure environment, we also offer the opportunity to join an embedded motivated team with exposure to a variety of stakeholders and customers.
We are excited to offer one full time position and a secondment/fixed term contract opportunity until May 2019, both based from our Bristol office.
What you’ll be leading on
- To manage the development of scheme proposal documentation and business cases, ensuring outcomes are clearly articulated in line with governance procedures and our investment approval milestones.
- To coordinate and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, providing them with the opportunity to input on the development of proposed options.
- To plan and manage scheme development processes to a high standard and within expected timescales.
- To ensure proposed options are assessed using corporate guidance and tools and facilitate the presentation of proposals and recommendations to internal stakeholders as part of the investment decision process such that preferred solutions are approved for the forward programme.
- To collaborate with Asset Engineers and Designers to identify and ensure that all technical surveys required to fully scope and cost scheme options have been undertaken and monitor progress to ensure completion within required timescales.
- To manage the scheme approval process, timescales and impact on the forward programme.
- Collaborating with colleagues, who are responsible for in year scheme delivery, to effectively manage updates that may lead to a programme change.
- You will be a practised programme or project environment professional with experience in developing a programme that meets business needs and aligns with strategy i.e. supports effective achievement of Key Performance indicators (KPIs).
- Experience of working within a 5 year Asset/Investment Management planning cycle is preferred with experience of working within a Highways/civil engineering background desirable.
- You will be an excellent communicator with great interpersonal skills.
- Ability to execute tasks independently, yet work collaboratively within a team and respond to management guidance & support.
- Strong customer focus.
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future. We achieve this through the delivery our capital programme, supporting customers on the road with our Traffic Officer Service and managing incidents effectively.
Want to know more?
Please review the role profile to find out more.
Interviews for the role are expected to take place in January 2019.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.