Project Manager (2YR FTC)
Put simply, we set the standards by which everything is measured. In doing so, the National Physical Laboratory is helping to combat issues on a global scale such as climate change, curing diseases and the development of cutting-edge communications technology. As a Project Manager you’ll take a leading role in delivering a range of projects and contracts that have the potential to make a huge difference to the world we live in. At NPL, we touch ordinary lives in extraordinary ways and you could too.
You will be responsible for managing a portfolio of projects of varied length (6-12 months on average) that deliver new capabilities and processes as part of an overarching transformation programme. This is an exciting opportunity to apply best practice Project Management to help coordinate the delivery across the portfolio as well as making links to other projects in the programme.
- Managing whole project lifecycles including schedule, cost and quality criteria
- Creating the project delivery plan of the proposed change activity in consultation with the project lead, end users and other stakeholders
- Proactively providing regular delivery progress reports to the internal customers
- Ensuring that risks, critical paths, milestones and dependencies of the projects are managed, controlled, reviews updated and communicated.
This role will suit people with project management experience including planning, delivering to cost ,quality, and time - working with many internal and external stakeholders. A scientific background is not specifically required whereas a Certification to existing best practice project management methodologies is highly beneficial.
- Proven track record of successfully managing the delivery of multiple projects.
- Project delivery experience for a large organisational transformation programme
- Proven track record of project managing refurbishment and new build projects
- Prince 2 certified (or equivalent project management best practice)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- High quality, clear and concise writing style
- Organised, self-motivated to produce high quality results
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in MS office including MS project
About The Company
We’re transforming. As a national laboratory, we’re exploring even more commercial routes to market and that’s presenting us with greater opportunity – for you and us. Our success relies on the diversity and talent of our people, we strive to nurture and respect individuals to ensure everyone feels valued and supported to excel in their chosen field.This value is at the core of our organisation.
We believe in a culture of fairness by treating everyone on the basis of their own individual merits and abilities regardless of their own or perceived identity, background or any other factor irrelevant to a person’s work. At NPL we are committed to the health and well being of our employees.Flexible working and social activities are embedded in our culture to create a positive work-life balance, along with a broad range of benefits(see our careers website for more information).
As part of our commitment to diversity & inclusion, we signed up to the Institute of Physics' Project Juno in 2015 as a Juno Supporter. NPL were proud to be awarded Juno Practitioner status in 2018. NPL also joined Stonewall as a Diversity champion in 2015, participating in their annual Workplace Equality Index for the equality of LGBT+ community at NPL. In 2018, NPL became a member of the Business Disability Forum and joined the disability confident scheme as level 1 committed employer.
To ensure everyone has an equal chance, we’re always willing to make reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss, please contact us.