Project Manager – Research, Design & Development
Dyson are growing – fast. We have multiple opportunities for Project Managers across Engineering, Design and Research functions in Malmesbury.
There are over 2,000 engineers and scientists at Dyson, dedicated to inventing and improving Dyson machines and as a Project Manager at Dyson, you will lead the integration of key functions across a multi-functional team in the research and development of Dyson's future products.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is located in Malmesbury, just 40 minutes from Bristol, on the edge of the South Cotswolds in Wiltshire. The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 7,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2017 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
As a Project Manager at Dyson, you will ensure deliverables are met in a timely manner and gain a sufficient level of understanding of the development to be able to communicate the projects status to senior management, whilst being comfortable in challenging the paradigm when required.
You will work across all disciplines of design, research, procurement, manufacturing, commercial and marketing to ensure an integrated project delivery aligns to the wider business strategy. Our briefs can often be loose and changeable, so you must be comfortable in a fast moving, ambiguous environment. Skills in managing a dynamic environment will be critical to the role.
- Management and integration of multiple cross functional teams to deliver projects to required SOP and Launch dates.
- Coordinate and communicate project status between teams within the organisations to ensure effective and timely input; resolve conflicts and lead solutions
- Challenge concepts in order to achieve the optimum design within the boundaries of time, specification and cost, maintain and manage the risks, actions and issues trackers.
- Manage resource allocation activities against current time plans and work with Finance for overall project cost management.
- Take an active, hands-on role to understand how engineering problems are resolved thoroughly and help support that resolution
- Work with development teams to ensure new technologies maximise the performance of new products
- Manage multiple stakeholders expectations across all categories from early stage to launch
- Ensure the team use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver a fully resolved solution to the correct standards
- Information management – governance and organisation of project related information.
- Experience working in a dynamic and innovative environment.
- First/2:1 Degree or equivalent
- Outstanding project management capabilities (i.e. estimating and planning, risk management, status reporting, budget tracking, benefits analysis, stakeholder management and communication, resource management)
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build productive working relationships and influence
- Confident; comfortable with interacting with senior executives without being tempted to dilute unpleasant news or back down from well-reasoned analysis
- Assertive; readiness to press teams to take remedial action when required
- Credible; ability to demonstrate a good level of understanding of engineering processes in order to work with design teams throughout the project development cycle
- Experience of working in creative teams
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines