Design Council’s purpose is to make life better by design. We are an independent charity and the government’s advisor on design. Our vision is a world where the role and value of design is recognised as a fundamental creator of value, enabling happier, healthier and safer lives for all. Through the power of design, we make better places, better products, better processes and better performance.
What the Project Assistant will do
The Project Assistant, Public Sector Innovation in the Growth & Innovation (G&I) team, is a critical role providing operational support across our programmes to ensure these are delivered efficiently and to a high standard. The role reports into the Project Manager, Public Sector Innovation.
Project delivery assistance
- Coordinate and support programme contract administration, including drafting and issuing the appropriate paperwork/contracts for our Design Associates and third-party suppliers.
- Support the preparation, set up and delivery of external and internal events, conferences, meetings and workshops relating to clients and programme delivery.
- Maintain processes to support the management, utilisation and capacity of our Design Associates across G&I programmes.
- Ensure Design Associates have the appropriate materials and toolkits for service delivery in a timely manner to deliver our G&I programmes.
- Ensure all relevant resources, materials and content required for programme delivery are maintained (including monitoring stock levels and version control of design tools)
- Work closely with Programme Development Lead to support the content, Design Associate and logistical requirements relating to our enhanced, extended and integrated programmes
- Collaborate closely with the marketing and communications team to ensure content resources are kept up to date and relevant
- Work with Front of House and Facilities Manager to support the effective delivery of our programmes
- Support general client management activities, including monitoring of delivery data and making visible relevant information when necessary.
- Act as an intermediary for all communications into G&I, responding to incoming initial queries and questions by telephone or e-mail
- Maintain storage of marketing and archive materials relating to programme delivery
- Maintain effective and efficient knowledge management within our internal and shared drives to ensure programme information is accessible and kept up to date.
- Support Programme Managers to develop necessary programme governance documentation
- Work with the Project Manager to set up and manage the appropriate structures and templates to gather financial information and monitor spend
- Prepare monthly reports, including monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting procedures (including accruals) to support delivery management.
- Manage and co-ordinate the procurement process (i.e. raising purchase orders and processing invoices) for all programmes in a timely manner
- Responding to ad hoc finance enquiries from suppliers and liaising with the finance department to identify swift and accurate solutions
The role may involve occasional travel to support the delivery of workshops and related service delivery activity.
Ensure you comply with the Design Council operational policies and procedures including financial and risk management, project management and evaluation processes, brand guidelines and health and safety policy.
Does this sound like you?
Here are the skills and experience we are looking for:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- Proven experience of providing project management support to large, complex projects
- Senior administration experience (e.g. document control, minute taking etc).
- Advanced Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Experience of working with content management systems
- Proven experience in managing financial information and monitoring budgets
- Ability to analyse, interpret and assimilate financial and reporting information
- Experience with event management/coordination
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Dynamic and proactive approach
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated
- High attention to detail
- Flexible, open and collaborative to working across projects
- Ability to work under pressure
- Collaborative team member and able to work across teams
- Focuses on impact and results for the client
- Manage multiple priorities and activities concurrently
Equality & Diversity
The Design Council is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. Applications are welcomed from all sections of the community. Public appointments are made on merit with independent assessments, openness and transparency of process.