Join us as a Project Manager with the Home Office
If you have the appetite to work on issues that directly impact the public and have the drive and determination to play a critical role in enabling change, we want to hear from you.
Why join the Home Office?
This role is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and innovative person to be at the forefront of change in one of the great Departments of State. We are delivering significant transformation in order to continue keeping our citizens safe and our country secure. New technology and the fast evolving nature of the threats we face mean we must adapt, and adapt fast, and with the UK leaving the EU, the need for change is greater than ever.
Project Managers provide a key role delivering the Home Office Transformation Portfolio. It is large, complex and challenging and encompasses over 20 major and/or mission critical projects and programmes plus four business portfolios of change. There is a strong focus on agile, modular project delivery, supported by enterprise-wide portfolio management and you could find yourself working on a project for the UK’s critical national infrastructure through to a complex technology enabled business change programme.
At Capita, we support clients across a range of sectors, including local Government, central Government, education, transport, health, life and pensions, insurance and other private sector organisations. We support with expertise applied by the talent across our business in combination with technology, insight and analytics to keep our clients ahead of change, sharper than competitors and more efficient than ever – and we always need new talent to help us achieve our goals.
We are currently recruiting for interesting and exciting positions at the Home Office. The Home Office keeps the UK secure and prosperous; protects its citizens, residents and visitors and their property; and upholds rights, liberties and the rule of law. Leading on immigration and passports, drugs policy, crime and fire policy, counter-terrorism and work to ensure visible, responsive and accountable policing in the UK.
The Role of a Project Manager:
Your role as Project Manager is to lead/manage the project and the project team. You will be responsible for driving and overseeing the project’s delivery to ensure objectives are clearly defined and achieved within the agreed time, cost and quality constraints. You will have a key role in project governance and working with stakeholders to ensure the agreed project outputs are delivered, enabling benefits to be realised.
You will have, or show potential for:
- An awareness of solutions development and asset allocation
- A working knowledge of commercial & procurement skills, quality management, business change & implementation, business case development, benefits management and knowledge management
- A practitioner-level of experience of requirements management, planning, scheduling, resource management, budgeting & cost management, risk & issue management, governance, frameworks & methodologies, stakeholder engagement, assurance and change control
Typical Role Responsibilities:
- Delivery – Create and lead the project to deliver agreed outcomes within time, cost and quality constraint
- Project Management – Day to day management and leadership of the project and the project team. Provide effective leadership and management controls. Set project controls. Design the project structure and organisation appropriate to stage. Set appropriate delivery methodologies. Manage effective transition between project phases
- Business Case – Develop and draft the Business Case, with input from specialists as necessary
- Budget Control – Develop the budget and track delivery within budget
- Resources – Identify skill requirements; and deploy and develop resources. Manage medium sized team
- Benefits Realisation – Deliver the agreed Business Case benefits and outcomes. Ensure appropriate Benefits Realisation Strategy is in place, and monitor longer term delivery of benefits against the Business Case.
- Stakeholder Management – Identify and manage stakeholder relationships and need for senior level support. Manage internal and external relationships as appropriate.
- Risks and Issues – Identify and monitor project risks and issues. Develop mitigating actions and escalate as appropriate. Identify and work with related projects to manage interdependencies
- Governance – Support effective governance and decision making. Provide reporting and engage in mechanisms that hold you, as Project Manager, to account for delivery
- Assurance – Engage with assurance reviews and support action on recommendations. Organise assurance processes such as gateway reviews, as required
- Change Management – Ensure effective Change Management processes are in place to agree and document changes to deliverables as agreed with stakeholders
- Guidance and Support – Provide support, guidance and coaching for the project team. Show commitment to personal development. Promote effective individual and team performance
- Project Performance and Controls – Cascade vision and translate into delivery objectives for the team. Develop and maintain Project Plan. Identify and set appropriate Project Controls. Manage performance and report progress to sponsors
Additional Specification & Required Criteria:
- A working knowledge of visible leadership
- Working with ambiguity
- Conflict resolution
- Inspiring others
- Innovation and culture change
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Aptitude for analysis
- PRINCE2 Practitioner
- Agile Project Management Practitioner
- APM Practitioner Qualification
- APM Registered Project Professional
- Project Leadership Programme
Although if this role is advertised as full-time, we are happy to promote part-time patterns and flexible working arrangements. Please speak to the Recruiter if this is applicable to you.
Please note successful applicants will be expected to go through vetting and Security Clearance.
We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the very best of luck with your application.