Senior Project Manager (Construction) X2
This is an exceptional opportunity for you to join our Construction and Maintenance Team as a Senior Project Manager at a time when Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES) Council is undertaking a period of significant capital investment in a range of unique and challenging projects.
We offer flexible working and are open minded in structuring working arrangements to suit the right candidates who will have a strong technical background and extensive experience in leading construction projects from inception to completion.
Our estate includes an array of listed buildings, ancient monuments and registered historic parks and gardens including the Roman Baths, the Pulteney Bridge, the Guildhall and the Royal Victoria Park.
Our team is currently working on projects with a combined value in excess of £100M, including a new education centre at the Roman Baths, a number of primary school expansion projects, depot redevelopment schemes, public realm projects, a new 45,000sqft speculative office development and bridge to link to our Bath Quays North regeneration scheme, together with a rolling programme of refurbishment and development schemes across our commercial estate which provides a significant income stream to the authority helping to fund essential front line services needed by our residents.
As part of the wider Economy and Growth team who have responsibility for Housing, Heritage Services, Regeneration, you will need to be a team player who will take personal responsibility for delivering complex construction projects on budget and to programme.
- Flexible working – location and working pattern
- Generous holiday allowance & special leave provisions
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Competitive salary package
- A comprehensive induction, training and development programme.
- Discount scheme – travel, restaurants, shops and services to name but a few
- Employee Assistance Programme – to support Health & Wellbeing
Reporting to the Head of Construction, Maintenance and FM, the post holder will be responsible for determining and implementing strategies for all aspects of the delivery of assigned projects, administering contracts, supervising, supporting and nurturing a small team of in-house project managers, coordinators and/or consultants.
The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for the Client side project management and delivery of a range of construction projects across the estate from inception to completion, including undertaking all aspects of contract administration for the respective projects.
The post holder will be expected to:
- Support service areas to review their requirements and prepare the client brief and PEP
- Support the identification and delivery of commercial opportunities and address risks
- Prepare and interrogate financial appraisals
- Procure, appoint, manage and control external consultants and contractors for a range of project values.
- Lead and influence both internal and external Project Directors and Project Managers on specific tasks.
- Influence at all levels both within the authority and with external stakeholders
- Operate on developments of up to £30m+
- Support and manage more junior project managers, coordinators and team support staff.
- Act as construction expert preparing and delivering presentations and deliver briefings to Cabinet / Senior Management, Project Sponsors and Stakeholders.
You will have a strong technical background and extensive experience in leading multiple construction projects from inception to completion, having dealt with a wide range of complex contractual, technical and organisational issues. You will have the ability to persuade, influence and negotiate with others whether operative or senior leader of a range of stakeholder organisations, and you will have demonstrable experience in successfully resolving complex disputes.
This is a challenging role that will require an individual with exceptional people skills who can demonstrate:
- Extensive post qualification experience of delivering significant and high profile capital construction projects.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject e.g. Construction Management
- Experience of managing large, complex, multi-stakeholder projects
- Significant experience of managing large budgets.
- Practical knowledge of project management tools and systems
- Sound commercial management skills and understanding of the standard form of Construction Contracts (particularly NEC)
- Experience of managing a procurement process that complies with Public Procurement regulations and OJEU rules.
- Excellent communications, literacy, numeracy and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in the use and application of standard MS products and management tools (eg Asta)
Interested to find out more?
If you are interested in this post and require more details after reading the job description or just to chat through the role and what's involved please contact:
To apply, please visit our website at www.bathnes.gov.uk/jobs. Alternatively, you can telephone 01225 396409 (24 hours), quoting the reference number and job title for a paper application pack. Please note we do not accept CV’s.
Closing date: Friday 14th June.
Proposed interview date: Friday 21st June.