BMS Improvement Project Manager
Our client is a growing FTSE250 international oil and gas company engaged in all stages of the exploration and production cycle, with interests in the UK, Asia, Africa and Mexico.
About the Role:
Lead the company wide simplification and adoption of the Business Management System (BMS). The role of the BMS Improvement Project Manager is to lead this improvement programme for ~18 months to forecast end 2020.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
1) Confirm the project objectives, activity plan and simplification principles and ensure the project team is suitably resourced.
2) Ensure each corporate function develops a suitable prioritised and resourced implementation plan to simplify their management system and coach them through the implementation of their plan through the project.
3) Coach document owners in authoring, simplifying, amalgamating or eliminating BMS documents, editing documents themselves where necessary or securing resources to do so.
4) Work with each Business Unit (BU) to define an end-state simplified local management system that aligns with the simplified corporate management system and local regulatory requirements; support each BU through implementation, facilitating interfacing with the corporate functions and between the BUs as appropriate.
5) Confirm key company processes in need of company-wide upgrade, standardisation or embedding and facilitate these improvements.
6) Implement a Company wide deviation process to control future deviation from group standards and procedures.
7) Identify and resolve critical path project delivery issues.
8) Ensure the underlying BMS IT infrastructure is enhanced to support a simplified BMS and promote adoption.
9) Implement an awareness/training programme to drive the adoption and ownership of the improved BMS across the whole company, including the integration of the BMS into new staff induction.
10) Design and implement suitable measures to ensure the BMS improvements made during the project endure after project completion.
11) Proactively identify and drive further opportunities for BMS simplification.
12) Monitor project progress and report to senior stakeholders.
13) Manage project and project team throughout to ensure delivery on these accountabilities. Mentor a successor to become the future owner of the BMS to ensure its "evergreen" updating and continued improvement.
* Crafting and implementing a solution that serves the needs of business leaders and front line personnel.
* Implementing change and instilling ownership with managers across a range of cultures, some of whom may have long established ways of working, imperfect writing skills or limited resources.
* Striving to achieve a suitably consistent and robust approach across multiple functions and business areas.
Financial Responsibility and Dimensions:
* Oversight of project budget estimated currently at £650k to end 2020.
Management Relationships (include direct / indirect reports, external parties):
Direct reports (internal employees / external parties):
* Reporting to: The Group Audit & Risk Manager, who in turn reports to the Chief Technical Officer and the Chair of the Board Audit & Risk Committee.
* Direct reports: Two project team members.
Indirect (internal employees / external parties):
* Corporate and BU functional managers and leaders from across Operations, Development, HSE, Wells, HR, Finance, IT, Exploration and other disciplines.
Candidate Profile (include Skills & Experience, Attributes, Behaviours)
* Deep technical and operational managerial experience in oil and gas or a similar industry.
* Experienced in leading complex change or transformation projects, ideally related to management system development or simplification.
* Experience in auditing or reviewing the effectiveness of management systems (and the underlying policies, standards and procedures) and intervening to make them more effective - and able to engage and coach managers in the same.
* Highly skilled at authoring, critically reviewing and implementing policies, standards and procedures that are suitable for their intended purpose and complied with - and able to engage and coach line managers to do the same.
* Familiar with regulatory requirements with respect to management systems.
* A willingness and aptitude to not only lead and manage the project but to also "work the details" in a hands-on manner.
* Enthusiastic advocate for the role of management systems, their simplification and continuous improvement.
* Available to make a high utilisation commitment into late 2020.
Additional Role Requirements
* 18 month contractor or staff secondment role.
* London-based with travel to BU locations as needed.