Office & Project Manager
A critical role in a small and very influential organisation working on food policy, providing both leadership and project management drive for a major system wide initiative on vegetable consumption, and overseeing the smooth running of the organisation’s administrative systems.
About the Food Foundation
The Food Foundation is a young, dynamic, impactful and independent think tank working to influence food policy to support healthy and sustainable diets. Working at the interface between academia and policy makers (parliamentarians, civil servants, local authorities, business leaders) we use a wide range of approaches to make change happen including events, publications, media stories, social media campaigns and multi-stakeholder partnerships. We also now work directly with citizens to ensure their lived experience is reflected in our policy proposals. We work with many partners on a range of different thematic areas, working closely with academics to generate evidence and campaigners who can drive change. We are independent of all political parties and business, and we are not limited by a single issue or special interest. We work with others who believe there is a problem with the system and want to change it. We have a terrific and dedicated group of trustees and expert advisers who support our work.
About the opportunity
This is a new position which will take on two major roles which will take up approximately 50% time each.
First the postholder will be the Project Manager for Peas Please – a nation wide initiative to drive up vegetable consumption. This project supported by a major new National Lottery Community Fund grant running til 2023 will ensure the project delivers its objectives by working with the Food Foundation team, and those of our partners in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. There will be approximately 20 people working on the project across the 5 organisations involved. Peas Please takes a system wide approach to driving up vegetable consumption – with the goal of making it easier for everyone, especially those on a low income, to eat more vegetables, delivering both health and environmental gains. The initiative began 2016 and is already delivering considerable impact (see Annex 1 for the summary of the project).
Second, the postholder will be the Food Foundation’s Office Manager overseeing the day to day running of the office and providing supervisory support to junior members of staff who support on administrative functions. The Food Foundation is a dynamic team who will benefit hugely from an experienced Office Manager to streamline systems and processes, and provide support to the Executive Director on strategy delivery.
We are looking for a skilled and committed manager with a track record of success. A passion or interest in food policy is a bonus, but not an essential characteristic.
Project management – Peas Please
- Develop and oversee all aspects of the delivery of the project plan for Peas Please chairing fortnightly Project Board meetings and trouble shooting when deadlines are slipping
- Providing support to staff working on the project across all the partner agencies to ensure the whole project team works well as a team, and is aware of its responsibilities.
- Overseeing the budget and financial management of the project to ensure spending remains on track
- Overseeing the project monitoring, evaluation and reporting to the National Lottery
- Developing procedures and systems which support successful project delivery across multiple partners (shared workspaces, CRM system, GDPR compliance etc)
- Liaising with the National Lottery to ensure they are kept up to date on project developments and notified of any changes to project plans.
- Line management of the Peas Please project assistant.
- Matrix management of a range of other project staff
Office Management – The Food Foundation
- To oversee all engagement with and reporting to funders to ensure the Food Foundation’s work is represented transparently and in line with funder’s requirements.
- To oversee the whole organisation budget and monitor cash flow, supervise the bookkeeper, and advise the Executive Director on fundraising priorities.
- To be responsible for all office systems including contracted suppliers (IT support, professional advice -legal and payroll)
- Managing our volunteer programme
- Support the management of trustee and expert advisory group meetings
- At least 6 years work experience in Project management and office oversight roles.
Technical skills and knowledge
- A proven project manager who can effectively mobilise teams to deliver results in a timely fashion
- Extremely well organised, efficient worker able to manage competing demands and prioritise workload
- Financially competent and conversant with financial monitoring and budgeting
- Clear, articulate communicator capable of inspiring and motivating people
- Drive to make a difference and a bias for action
- Quick, confident yet considered decision making
- Self starter with the intuition and ability to forsee problems and avoid them
- The position will report to the Executive Director.
- Salary: £35,000 pa ; 5% contribution to pension.
- Start date: As soon as possible. Interviews will be held on August 1st, 2019 in central London
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter detailing your suitability for the role with examples of how you meet the above criteria to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 09:00 on July 23rd, 2019
For more information about The Food Foundation, please visit: www.foodfoundation.org.uk