Special Projects Mechanical Project Manager/Engineer
The business is an exciting and progressive building services contractor in the South East. It has been established for over 50 years and operates from its headquarters in Suffolk. The business is part of a financially sound and well-resourced group with a traditional family-based culture and strong moral values.
The business has a track record of delivering demanding mechanical and electrical projects up to a value of £6m within the education, health, commercial, leisure, industrial, high-end residential and heritage sectors predominantly for main contractors.
Within the East of England, it has a busy Special Projects team who undertake planned and preventative mechanical and electrical maintenance contracts within the region. Additionally, the team work for end-user clients who entrust them to maintain and improve their property assets on one-off new build or refurbishment projects as principal contractor using directly employed labour and trade subcontractors. These projects can range from a few thousand pounds up to half a million pounds.
Overall this part of the business has a profitable turnover ranging between £1m - £2m per annum, with scope for further development and growth.
The role is based in Ipswich and you will be managing a small committed team of building services mobile engineers, together with admin back up and support from other resources such as SHEQ that are typical for a larger organisation.
Working closely with the team and other parts of the business, you will manage the day to day operations and the financial performance of the Special Projects business alongside an electrical colleague including:
* Achieve or exceed annual budget in relation to turnover and profit, whilst building a healthy future pipeline of work opportunities with new and existing clients
* Manage the development and performance of contract operations within the department ensuring consistently high standards of delivery are achieved by staff and the supply chain
* Establish, maintain and improve relationships with clients and the supply chain
* Generate business through pricing work and through strong relationship with existing clients and new clients
* Ensure high levels of SHEQ and service levels are achieved
* Manage and motivate staff to ensure productivity, quality and best in class standards of service
* You will ideally have a mechanical background and have prior experience of working in a similar role for a contractor. You are particularly familiar with heating and water systems, ventilation, pipework and drainage in industrial, commercial and domestic environments. You also have a general understanding of gas systems, electrical systems, controls, single phase and three phase power. You are able to read and understand drawings regarding building regulations. Additionally, you are familiar with building elements such as groundworks, substructures, super structures, and envelopes
* You have experience in managing projects, you know how long a job takes to do, you are skilful in programming, procurement, subcontract management, labour control and handover documentation
* You have a proven track record and experience of diagnosing faults, providing advice and solutions, managing repairs, and monitoring planned and preventative maintenance work
* You have an aptitude for identifying work opportunities and converting those opportunities in to technically and commercially sound pricing proposals to secure the orders
* You are comfortable dealing with individuals at all levels, internally and externally and across a wide range of clients including main contractors and end users
* You are commercially aware, you can deliver a profit, you are focussed on ensuring customer satisfaction and maintaining a high level of service at all times
* You have experience in producing risk assessments, method statements, health and safety plans.
* You are happy getting involved in detail when needed to build confidence within the team and clients, yet you are able to delegate and inspire when needed while staying in control to manage a successful outcome